Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Jackson and ESP has a good reputation, especially back in the 80's and 90's these companies would've been very popular. Is there reputation for quality staying consistant or is it heading downhill (In other words, are older models better than new models)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
Jackson is still Jackson. Even though A LOT of people continually believe that the older Pre-Fender, the current Jackson stuff is actually VERY consistant as compared to some of the 90's Jacksons when Akia owned them. The USA Jacksons have always been pretty consistant, but I'd probably go with a current one from Jackson just because most of the guys who work at the Jackson factory have been there for about 10 years or more, and their work doesn't get worse over time.

ESP has always been consistant in my book. Thier quality isn't going downhill either so choosing a Jackson or an ESP is still a good choice. Interesting thing is, back 10-15+ years ago, ESP wanted real distributors in the US to market thier stuff but lost the market to Ibanez becasue they failed to establish a US point of presence and endorsement. Now, they're one of the hottest products out there.

My advice here is to just get a USA made Jackson or Jap made ESP regardless of the time period it was made in. (I do find that the newer ones out are a little better constructed as both companies have refined thier craft)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
buddroyce said:
Jackson is still Jackson. Even though A LOT of people continually believe that the older Pre-Fender, the current Jackson stuff is actually VERY consistant as compared to some of the 90's Jacksons when Akia owned them.
I have not played to many of the newer Jacksons, but the two best and easily the worst Jacksons that I have played have all been pretty new. The rest of them may be consistent though because I've only played maybe a dozen or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
mi2tom said:
I've always think of jackson and esp as a metal guitar....
They look fairly metal, even the more classic shapes like the soloist look semi metal. Typically their stock pups need a lot of gain on them too. Mahogany bodies tend to be best for metal, but with a maple top they can be metal or clean with the proper pickups and player.... and a strat can also be metal as well! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
red5 said:
I have not played to many of the newer Jacksons, but the two best and easily the worst Jacksons that I have played have all been pretty new. The rest of them may be consistent though because I've only played maybe a dozen or so.
It all depends on which guitars you play really. If you play the cheap low end models(usually the ones made in India) they're pretty bad. Thier Japanese made ones are pretty darn good for the money and thier US models have always been [email protected]$$. Like most companies, it's best to avoid models at the bottom of the pit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,619 Posts
New Jacksons are probably THE BEST in terms of quality - in my eyes at least. They generally wipe the floor with almost anything else out there. But I am talking about that proper USA made Jacksons, not the crappy Korean models. ESP are very good too, and would probably come 2nd on my list.

As much as I love Ibanez - the higher-end models like the JEM's dont come close to USA Jacksons in terms of quality. But thats just my 2p. JCustoms do however - so it all depends!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,753 Posts
I love Jacksons, as I've said just before ;) But Jackson doesn't make a bolt on that blows a Jem away. If you compare the Soloist to the Jem, it's all down to personal taste and whether you prefer bolts or neck throughs (you need a few of both, really ;) ) I don't think Ibanez makes a neck through that can touch a good Soloist either. You might get a bit better than a Jem by paying a lot more money to some boutique company, but the 7VWH really is just about as good as modern bolt ons get, IMHO. It is simply a great, great guitar. Some people like the J Customs more, as there is certainly more diversity in the J Custom line, but even then it's still mostly a matter of taste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
buddroyce said:
It all depends on which guitars you play really. If you play the cheap low end models(usually the ones made in India) they're pretty bad. Thier Japanese made ones are pretty darn good for the money and thier US models have always been [email protected]$$. Like most companies, it's best to avoid models at the bottom of the pit.
I am talking only about the US models only here. That one was just way below average.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
mi2tom said:
yes a strat can play metal too... but you need to boost em if they are all single coils :)
With some of the amps out there these days you don't even need to boost them anymore ;)

jim777 said:
I love Jacksons, as I've said just before ;) But Jackson doesn't make a bolt on that blows a Jem away. If you compare the Soloist to the Jem, it's all down to personal taste and whether you prefer bolts or neck throughs (you need a few of both, really ;) ) I don't think Ibanez makes a neck through that can touch a good Soloist either.
All the Jackson bolt ons I have seen have been downright bad (and cheap too). The RG420FM I thought sustained as well or better than any Jackson but they angled the neck wrong so the action would not be as low.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,753 Posts
Gurj said:
USA Jacksons are great guitars. I love my SL1 as much as my jem.
Also, don't forget the early 90's MIJ Jackson professionals. As good as the US equivalent ;)
Personally, I have yet to play a USA Jackson as good as the 90-91 Jackson Pros. They are simply magical. My main 6 string is a '90 Jackson Soloist Pro (I should really have a picture.....hmmmm)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
The only Jacksons I've played are my mate's JX10 (had 3 Duncan Design hotrails), a RR5 and a Kelly (which ever one has the Duncan Design Invader style ones in it). I'm not too keen on the feel, it's better with a slightly heavier string gauge. The necks aren't as ergonomic as Ibanezes generally speaking, but they sound alright.

Same goes for ESPs, but with them they're mostly neckthru or set neck models so you nearly always get a gloss neck. The only bolt-on natural satin necks are the really cheapo and the really expensive ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
jim777 said:
Personally, I have yet to play a USA Jackson as good as the 90-91 Jackson Pros. They are simply magical. My main 6 string is a '90 Jackson Soloist Pro (I should really have a picture.....hmmmm)
Know what you mean :) Sadly I traded my RR Pro a while ago. Definately on the "wish I hadn't sold" list. Miss it, it was a damn fine guitar.....now I'm off to have a cry!
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top