Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today during Queen's day in Holland, somebody drove through a crowd with a car, killing four people, and tried to drive into a bus in which the Queen and others from the Royal family were. If I remember correctly, thirty people were injured.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Saw it happening when I was watching TV this morning.
It is not sure if he targeted the bus, as he drove straight into the monument.
How sick must someone be to perform such an action.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Four people died and thirteen people got hurt during the drive.

A truly sad day for all the families, friends and loved ones of the people that got hurt or died today.

Nothing is known yet about why the man drove his car into the crowd, except maybe he tried to hit the Queen?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Apparently he said something to the police as they cut him out of the wreckage, indicating that it was a deliberate attempt to hit the bus with the queen and the other royals.

You can see in the video and some pictures how close he got to the bus, which rounded that exact corner on the outside, when he hit the monument on the inside track. He only missed because his car was badly damaged from hitting other obstacles and people.

I must say that it didn't really affect the festivities much were I am. For those jemsiters not familiar with Queen's Day, think of the 4th of July but more orange ;)

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently, the neighbours of the guy in the car described him as quiet, polite and somewhat reclusive. He worked as a night time security officer up until recently when he was fired.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It is not sure if he targeted the bus, as he drove straight into the monument.
Nothing is known yet about why the man drove his car into the crowd, except maybe he tried to hit the Queen?
Apparently he said something to the police as they cut him out of the wreckage, indicating that it was a deliberate attempt to hit the bus with the queen and the other royals.
From what I understand, it's been confirmed that it was a deliberate assault.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's pretty horrible to see that there are interviews on TV with, for instance, the prime minister and then there are these punks in the background waving at the screen, as if they're saying "Look at me! I'm on TV!". :roll:

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Apparently, the neighbours of the guy in the car described him as quiet, polite and somewhat reclusive. He worked as a night time security officer up until recently when he was fired.
A reclusive night watchman would have only the smallest amount of contact with other people. Who knows what has been brewing in his head the last few years?

All good thoughts to the families and friends of those killed and injured in this senseless and unnecessary tragedy.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
A reclusive night watchman would have only the smallest amount of contact with other people. Who knows what has been brewing in his head the last few years?
There has been some speculation that he wasn't acting alone. Or that other people used this guy as a cover up. But I'd be surprised if that was the case.

All good thoughts to the families and friends of those killed and injured in this senseless and unnecessary tragedy.
Indeed: senseless and unnecessary.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Really sorry to hear about this. Heard about it elsewhere!! :sad:

I have been in Amsterdam on Queens Day before and it's absolutely crazy!!! I "discovered" it by accident one time :lol: Went for a quiet weekend and was shocked 8O :lol: , thousands of people on the streets in a sea of orange, dj's set up in alleyways blasting out music, outdoor cooking, non stop drinking, and the whole atmosphere of everyone was friendly and just the biggest party ever. Of course...queueing to get a drink was a nightmare :mrgreen:

It's a shame when one nutcase tries to ruin something! My sympathies to the families and people involved :sad:

And......a big +1 to know you are ok Alwin :D

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And......a big +1 to know you are ok Alwin :D
Yeah, I'm glad I didn't go out last Thursday. I'm always aware of the fact that these sort of things can happen but if a car blindsides you at high speed... Like I said; I'm glad I stayed home.

I've seen footage on TV of the event and you just saw people flying across the road... It was horrible.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Sadly, these things are ongoing. There are sick people out there. Best to stay vigilant and hope these idiots fail in their next attempt.

~j

1 - 20 of 20 Posts