Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
RGA42FM, AZES31, SRF705, SR700, GSRM20, EWP32FM, G&L Trib ASAT Special
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[Edit: This has been solved, see below.]

Hi folks,

Thanks for your attention. 馃檪

I live in a super noisy apartment and i cannot enjoy the stock pickups in my azes31.

I am writing because I'm confused how to use two wire pickups when they old ones are three wire.

I bought a set of Fender Hot Noiseless pickups, and routed out excess wood from my guitars cavity.

Gesture Art Finger Font Paint

I want to wire in the new pickups, and then shield the cavity.

The old pickups have hot-cold-ground wires:
Electrical wiring Wood Cable Electrical supply Electronic device

And the Fender pickups have hot and ground wires
Art Line Wall Paint Gas

How do you recommend i wire these new pickups for my azes31? I had intended to splice like for like wires, expecting my guitar to have cheap pickups, but i was surprised.

Best regards,
Paul

ps. I searched, but didn't find an answer. I appreciate the wisdom.

Registered
AZ wiring info is pretty much non-existent unfortunately... But if it were me I would connect your hot wires (white) to any hot location... Then connect your ground to the cold and ground locations in the wiring harness. You can't damage anything by wiring it wrong... But start there and see what happens.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think I solved the issue.

I took a ohmmeter to the wires, and it appears that the cold and ground have minimal resistance between them for each pickup. So I'll be wiring the ground on the new pickup to where those original wires went.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AZ wiring info is pretty much non-existent unfortunately... But if it were me I would connect your hot wires (white) to any hot location... Then connect your ground to the cold and ground locations in the wiring harness. You can't damage anything by wiring it wrong... But start there and see what happens.
Thanks! Tonight I'll know if it works!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
conclusion: @JsXLine6 's advice works pretty well. I am missing a string, so I cannot do a setup today, but I get musical tones out of all the switch positions, and everything is very noise-free, with full shielding, and the Fender Hot noiseless pickups.

I liked the stock pickups, so I only recommend the mod if you have an electrical noise issue like I do.

Registered
I have 2 AZES31鈥檚. I love the stock pups, especially with playing clean. Great guitar. An entry level, serious guitar for those just now taking it up.

I started learning back in 1983. My first guitar was an Ibanez RS 100. It was entry level, SSS, with a plywood body I think. The fake wood grain guitar鈥檚 finish pulled off wherever you bumped it on the body. However the neck and feel of the guitar was great. The pickups were O.K. The AZES31 kind of harkens back to those days.

The AZES31is an improvement on their past, lower priced models. Great tonal options with the switching system. And the pups even sound good through high gain on my Mesa.

If they come out with new colors for the Hardtail, I鈥檒l likely buy another one. One of my favorite guitars, and they are practically giving them away!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts