Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am very excited. I have an Ibanez J Custom Rg8570Z - Chrysocolla on the way.

The only thing that worries me is that the frets are not stainless steel on the Ibanez. This is the reason why I almost went with a Suhr Modern or Mayones guitar.

Is it true that the nickel frets on the Ibanez are actually quite hard and almost resemble stainless steel frets? I gig, teach, and practice for hours a day so I want to make sure that the frets are not too soft.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
In my experience with them they are not anywhere as close to as hard as stainless. I had a premium js24p and wore out the frets in 2 years. I play essentially every day and used to gig before covid. They didn't wear any slower than my fenders, Gibson's or custom built guitars that had standard frets. Premiums are definitely not on a level as a j custom, I can't imagine the fret wire is any different. Fret wire isn't manufacturered by ibanez, they would have to be using what is available to any other company. I have 2 guitars with stainless, it's a lot better. Though there is a down side... Your wound strings get flat spots worn in them pretty quickly. Strings definitely die faster. But IMO that's a small price to pay for a neck that will last a life time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my experience with them they are not anywhere as close to as hard as stainless. I had a premium js24p and wore out the frets in 2 years. I play essentially every day and used to gig before covid. They didn't wear any slower than my fenders, Gibson's or custom built guitars that had standard frets. Premiums are definitely not on a level as a j custom, I can't imagine the fret wire is any different. Fret wire isn't manufacturered by ibanez, they would have to be using what is available to any other company. I have 2 guitars with stainless, it's a lot better. Though there is a down side... Your wound strings get flat spots in them in them pretty quickly. Strings definitely die faster. But IMO that's a small price to pay for a neck that will last a life time.
Thanks for the response. That is too bad. I guess I will just have to do a refret in a year or two which is unfortunate given that the guitar is already 3 grand....

·
Vendor
26,754 Posts
Actually Premiums have never had 6105's. They're all, bigger. I doubt they're Jescar, just like everything Indo they'll save a penny wherever they can. Fretwire comes in many different grades depending on who makes it, even if it's nickel some of the allows are much tougher than others. None are going to be as tough as SS though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually Premiums have never had 6105's. They're all, bigger. I doubt they're Jescar, just like everything Indo they'll save a penny wherever they can. Fretwire comes in many different grades depending on who makes it, even if it's nickel some of the allows are much tougher than others. None are going to be as tough as SS though.
I will be very curious now to see how long these last. I would only assume that they will use a very strong alloy on the J customs.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
‘Back when I was a “one guitar only guy” I had an EVH Wolfgang with stainless frets. I put significant divots in the lower frets, and there were wide depressions on some of the frets where I was bending the strings. Only took 2-3 years, as the frets were really small, vintage size.

Stainless don’t last forever. They just last a lot longer. And, I discovered that I am allergic to certain metals. I can’t wear regular eye glasses. I’m allergic to certain steel alloys, and I’m allergic to gold. So no more stainless frets for me. I do like the way that nickel silver sounds better to me most of the time.

I don’t have a problem with EVO Gold. It’s made out of the same stuff that my eye glasses are made from. And the EVH frets were softer than other stainless frets I’ve had on a Suhr and Tom Anderson.

When I had those SS fretted guitars, I could wear out a set of strings in short order. Flat spots on the strings happened pretty fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.