Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just want to ask, recently I notised some slight tunning problems
Only with my third string, when making big slides on the 3th string. From maybe second fret to maybe twelve fret.
It goes a little flat.
It is noticed on my two rg's with original edge.
Is it maybe from the daddario strings that i'm using now?

Then if pull up the bar a little it comes back in tune, not perfect but in tune.

My saddle lock screw is tith and my nut is glued, no moving from the nut under the. Pressure pad.

Thanks
Dimi

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Not sure if this is the issue, but when you slide as you describe, it's very easy to push the string closer to the bridge (stretch the string from the nut to your finger). You can hear this effect on one fret as well, it's a technique you can use to intonate on fixed bridge guitars. If your guitar is set up properly, then it should return to pitch when you release the G string. Although that is not the case here! What could be happening is that you alter the tension when you slide, and that your tremolo is not perfectly set up to return to zero.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Not sure if this is the issue, but when you slide as you describe, it's very easy to push the string closer to the bridge (stretch the string from the nut to your finger). You can hear this effect on one fret as well, it's a technique you can use to intonate on fixed bridge guitars. If your guitar is set up properly, then it should return to pitch when you release the G string. Although that is not the case here! What could be happening is that you alter the tension when you slide, and that your tremolo is not perfectly set up to return to zero.
Or you simply never screw the nut lock tight enough to have the strings really locked tight. It happened to me a few times. When the nut lock starts to wear, you have to tighten it a little more over time to lock the string 100% over time. Especially the 3rd and 4th string nut lock seem to have this issue with Ibbies... At least in my experience, and I've had quite a few through the years. It sounds like this is your issue here...

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,

JP

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your input friends!!!
Just left the guitar to my local luthier, let's see what will happen...
I will report you back.
Cheers,
Dmi

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, intonation now is perfect to my ears...
But this problem only with the 3th strings still remains...
Ive tried tighten the nut pad hard or just a little with new strings...

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Hey Dimi,

I would pull the saddle off and check for wear.... especially at the pivot point. Be sure to check the lock block and screw and also the intonation screw for wear/stretching. Replace if necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts