Ibanez JEM Forum banner

question about wood filler on fret-ends

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  musikron 
#1 ·
Hi,

I got a new Ibanez guitar today (NGD thread will follow shortly), and I noticed that at 2 frets the fret ends were not 100% sealed/filled with wood-filler (see pictures).

My questions are:

-Would something like this be considered a flaw or is this normal?

-Could this cause problems in the long run (humidity, dust or grease getting into the opening and 'pushing against the fret' or something like that)?

-Is there a way I could seal or fill those tiny openings myself?

Thanks,
Lars

See less See more
#2 ·
The frets should be fine. The metal expands and contracts with heat and the wood will shrink or swell as it becomes drier or more oily depending on climate.

Better to have a gap than a jutting piece of metal, imo. I've seen plenty of guitars with that sort of stuff by the frets and they've all seemed ok to me.

As far as stuff getting into the openings...not likely to cause any problems. normal expansion and contraction will cause far more weirdness with fret seating than a small hole can.

#3 ·
It should be just fine, but if it would make you feel better you can drop a little CA (super glue) in their just to flush it up/make it look better. Remember......the rosewood on top of the fretboard is not sealed. The little spot under the fret wont act any differently than the rest of your board.

#7 ·
Thanks a lot everyone for your input, I appreciate your help.

The fret end that is not sealed/filled 100% does not really bother me in terms of cosmetics, so if it is nothing that can cause problems in the long run, I am fine, and I probably will leave it as it is.

NGD thread will be up in a bit.

Thanks again :)

Lars

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.