Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a guitar from him, mostly because I'm interested in the work he could do setting it up and getting it playing perfectly (with frets leveled and guitar shimmmed and all parts cleaned up and in perfect condition and so on)....

I just wanted to see how many of you have bought from him and what you thought of the setup. Normally, for the extra $55 (cash price for the guitar I want will be $1355) it'd be no big deal for me to buy from him, as that'd be the cost of the guitar + a normal setup anyways....

BUT here's the deal. I rarely ever buy guitars new. I usually see no reason too. The only reason I'm going to buy this one new is because it's one of the new 2008 models and it's something I've been wanting a long time and it's exactly what I want. I already have a custom set of Bare Knuckle Pickups for it on the way and everything.

HERE is my situation. I have a friend who is good friends with a manager at a Guitar Center and will be able to get me this guitar at dealer cost... which I don't know yet exactly how much that will be... but for a $1300 retail guitar, I don't think dealer cost would be any more than $900.... so I'd be saving a pretty decent amount of money.

I asked Rich how much he'd charge to do a setup if I bought this guitar from somewhere else and sent it to him, and he said it'd be $300 + parts + return shipping.... (OUCH!)

So... I'm thinking about possibly just buying it from Rich, and I'm mainly making this post to hear firsthand experience about just how good his setups are. Do you think it'd be worth it in my case? Just looking for honest opinions here...

I am NOT a collector and have no use at all for collecting. I am a PLAYER, and his setup is really the only thing I'm wondering about. I've heard he is pretty amazing at setting them up, so that's why I'm interested.

And Rich, I'm sure you'll read this. Hopefully you don't take offense or anything. I've seen how you're not exactly the most patient guy in the world. I've just never heard much about your services really, as I don't hang around here too often... so just looking for some opinions from people to see what they think of your setups.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
forget guitar center ... glen

ps - forum search should show similar threads (although this belongs in the vendor forum)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
forget guitar center ... glen

ps - forum search should show similar threads (although this belongs in the vendor forum)
Trust me, I normally have no interest in even stepping foot in a guitar center, but money is money, and getting a guitar at dealer cost is always a good thing. :p

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Okay, no brainer, buy from Rich ;) I've had four guitars from Rich and every one had a full set-up. They are worth the money. Sure, I was a little apprehensive at first about sending a lot of money to someone I didn't know, but it was definitaly worth it. Rich may be a bit grumpy at times :p but he sure knows how to set up an Ibanez :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Trust me, I normally have no interest in even stepping foot in a guitar center, but money is money, and getting a guitar at dealer cost is always a good thing. :p
That's the problem mate. You pay for what you get for. You have to understand that Rich is veteran in this department and he puts quality and reliability of his products before his sales. Rich returns a lot of the stuff that he orders. If there are any imperfections, even the slightest thing that looks shifty, Rich returns it. Everything he sells has been looked over and fixed. He does more than a set up. I can tell you by experience that rich takes his job seriously. When i received my Jem from him, it came ready to play. Literally no tuning to do. Yesterday i had to do a 1/8 adjustment on my a string using the fine tuners, and that IS ALL i've had to do on it since. Set-ups don't last forever, but it's nice when YOU KNOW for sure that your guitar will come ready to shred. Nothing you need to do but warm up your amp and start playing. Personally, i've had problems here and there buying guitars in stores. And with time i began to draw a line between price and quality of service. I would definately pay that extra bit, and get a guitar that i would know for sure to be guaranteed free of any problems and will be set up and ready to play when you hatch open the case.

Anyways, if you wanna take a risk and save some money than go with Guitar Center, but i think Rich's services are well spoken for here. I stand by his business now and i probably will for a while. In fact, tomorrow i shall be buying another guitar from Rich.

In Rich we trust!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That's the problem mate. You pay for what you get for. You have to understand that Rich is veteran in this department and he puts quality and reliability of his products before his sales. Rich returns a lot of the stuff that he orders. If there are any imperfections, even the slightest thing that looks shifty, Rich returns it. Everything he sells has been looked over and fixed. He does more than a set up. I can tell you by experience that rich takes his job seriously. When i received my Jem from him, it came ready to play. Literally no tuning to do. Yesterday i had to do a 1/8 adjustment on my a string using the fine tuners, and that IS ALL i've had to do on it since. Set-ups don't last forever, but it's nice when YOU KNOW for sure that your guitar will come ready to shred. Nothing you need to do but warm up your amp and start playing. Personally, i've had problems here and there buying guitars in stores. And with time i began to draw a line between price and quality of service. I would definately pay that extra bit, and get a guitar that i would know for sure to be guaranteed free of any problems and will be set up and ready to play when you hatch open the case.

Anyways, if you wanna take a risk and save some money than go with Guitar Center, but i think Rich's services are well spoken for here. I stand by his business now and i probably will for a while. In fact, tomorrow i shall be buying another guitar from Rich.

In Rich we trust!
Thanks, this is the exact kind of post I wanted to hear. I've seen on many occasions he and people "not exactly getting along" to put it mildly, and I can see it now in how he speaks to me too, but honestly, that's not really any of my concern. I'd be paying the man for making sure I get a perfectly setup instrument ready to go, and if that's what he could provide me, then I'm all for buying a guitar from him.

I don't think I was rude at all in the way I wordered my original post. I just wanted to hear opinions from PLAYERS (NOT collectors!) on what they thought of (specifically) his setups and how the guitar plays when they get it.

·
Vendor
26,431 Posts
, and I can see how it now in how he speaks to me too,get it.
I don't know what the hell any of you see in my replies unless if you're expecting them to be something then that's the way you'll read them. All I ever do is answer questions, and I answered all of yours, straight and to the point. I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I just wanted to hear opinions from PLAYERS (NOT collectors!) on what they thought of (specifically) his setups and how the guitar plays when they get it.
Dude, I'm a player who just happens to collect! I play all my guitars, obviously some more than others. Incidentally my two favourite guitars both happen to have been sold to me by Rich ;)

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
GC is more for collectors where the playability of an axe is irrelevant. if you can't setup an axe yourself then weight the cost and reliability of setup required for the guitar (which in all honesty won't be dealer cost as it would be a loss)... glen

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
The only reason I don't buy from Rich is because I can setup my own guitars. I've been playing Ibanez for 17 years.
Based on what I've read on his website (where I've culled my own fair share of information to be fair) it would be well worth the added cost to buy from Rich; especially if you're buying a trem guitar. Too many times I've seen people put off from the instrument simply because of their unfamiliarity with a floating trem. It looks to me that Rich can do these set-ups in his sleep by now.
He also seems to genuinely care about the instrument and his workmanship. Compare that and the cost of going to a local tech I'd say buy from Rich.
...and especially if you're going to buy an already expensive instrument like a Jem!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
GC is more for collectors where the playability of an axe is irrelevant. if you can't setup an axe yourself then weight the cost and reliability of setup required for the guitar (which in all honesty won't be dealer cost as it would be a loss)... glen
Well, then at my local GC, people are collecting Gio's cause it seems that's all the store has anymore. :smile:

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Well, then at my local GC, people are collecting Gio's cause it seems that's all the store has anymore. :smile:
From what I've seen, the big chains have more LPs and Fenders than anything. I went to SA this weekend and they had lots of Indy and MIK models. Many of the NEW ones were chipped and dinged because people can't seem to put the necks back on the pegs propperly. Lots of guitars falling off the walls! :p Makes me LESS weary of buying online and getting the flimsy trapezoid box :p :p :p
Having Rich send back poorly QC'ed product is also a plus. You at least KNOW you're getting a tip-top instrument!

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I agree -- go see Rich. Forget about the people who have a problem with his "attitude", if you're straight-up with him, he's straight up and BS-free with you, just as any good sales person should be.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I bought a JEM from Rich, no problems whatsoever. Came ready to play and best setup I have ever played on. Sure no setups hold forever, but you only need little tuning from time to time to keep it that perfect and Rich's site tells you how...

Also I don't know what problems some peeps have with Rich, he is the most straight forward business man I ever encountered, I never got any BS from him. He answered all my questions and was always totally honest and straight with me and we emailed about 25 emails ... in none of the emails he was rude or anything, he just does not BS you with salesmen shoe licking... ;) which I find very very nice, as I can't stand that crap.

So all in all: I plan on buying a JS or another JEM and I will 100% buy it from Rich again. (I am a player and have save for quite some time, so spending my well earned money is not as easy, but I consider buying from Rich is money well spend.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will add to this thread that I recently bought a 20th Anniversary RG550 - NOT from Rich, but if he offers a set-up on guitars he sells, that would be a good idea.

My RG550 badly needed a set-up - level and crown the frets (slight rising tounge) All the shims were under the locking nut (needed lowered) The trem was too low in the body, the fret ends were MAJOR sharp - like little knives.

However, as soon as I felt that thin neck.....instant love :)

I have the skills to set-up my guitars, so it was no problem for me, if yo udo not, the extra to have one set up, would be money well spent.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't why everyone's saying that he' rude and what not. Mind you he doesn't always have time to talk because he needs to get your hard paid work done, but he answers every question with precision. And i've sent this man probably close to 100 emails. He won't kiss your ass if that's what you're looking for. But he's one of the most honest and fair salesman i know. Also, i wouldn't buy any vintage Ibanez's from anyone else but him.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I am thinking of ordering a guitar or 2 from Rich. I never have before, but this site serves as a way to keep everyone honest, like **** but more personal.

I've emailed him back and forth a few times and I've talked to him in the past and I've never been put off by him at all. If you want pretty roses and a wife go to a singles bar. Rich seems to me like a business oriented guy who tells it like it is and goes about his business.

To me that's awesome. Do the job and go home. Plus I bet he gets a lot of questions and email from guys who will never buy from him...:roll:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have only had brief dealings with Rich while I was looking for a 45mm locking nut for my 540 pii. I don't think 'rude' is an accurate description.

I think 'blunt and to the point' is much more fitting. That isn't necessarily a bad thing as he was very civil with me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hell I don't care who it is. I buy where it's cheapest and where i get the best deal. whether it's GC or local. usually though it's GC. Too bad it's that way but it's cheaper.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts