Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

A few months ago I purchased a JS2000. The neck, after a setup, plays great.

I do not however care for the sound. I even swapped out the bridge pup for an early 70's T Top that I've had since new. The guitar just sounds too nasal to me. And I can hear the difference unplugged compared to a Les Paul and a Tele.

So the question is, since the JS6 has a Mahogany body and I believe it's not as contoured as the JS2000 does it have midrange nasal sound? Is it more like a Gibson as opposed to the JS2000?

Thanks much !

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I think you'll find they all have that mid range tone... I have the 2000, 1600 (and wend a couple of 6s)... the pickups vary the tone a little, but it always comes back to that 'JS' tone.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
I own the three, 2000, 1600 and JS6s. I'd agree with Sean, for the most part a JS is a JS. There's minor variations for mahogany vs alder or what pickups, but they are pretty minor to the point that I think if you dislike the sound of one JS you won't necessarily be happy with another one instead.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Can’t speak to the comparisons but I’ll tell you I put different pickups in one of my JS6s and it sounds a lot different to me. Lower output - they’re actually hybrid Seth/59 Seymour Duncans.

Id think the JS2000 with that fixed Edge would sound and feel more like the JS1/1000/BP. The true hardtail (with Gotoh) should make a difference.

I used to have a JS1 and it was different to my ears than my JS6s. The JS1 wasn’t stock pickups though.

It’s blasphemy on an Ibanez forum to say this ... but Duncans just sound better to me in general.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts