Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually, the fingerboard on the SZ series is 2-1/4" wide at the last fret, so F-spaced pickups are necessary to make the strings pass over the polepieces--I replaced the pickups on my SZ720 with F-spaced Dimarzios.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that heads up dude.
I hadnt taken action yeton the buying pickups department yet so this is great :)

btw which dimarzio's did you fit?

i'm thinking of a steve's special in the bridge and a air norton in the neck.........

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went with a PAF Pro at the neck, and a Superdistortion at the bridge. Either pickup sounds good on its own, but the real advantage is in modifying the wiring at the switch so that both humbuckers are active in the middle position instead of split coils. Two humbuckers in the middle position offer a lot of tonal variety.

You could go with regular pole spacing on the neck pickup and it would probably be perfect. The strings pass over the F-spaced polepieces on the neck pickup I installed, but not over the center of them. F-spacing is a must for the bridge pickup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.