Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I would like some opinions. I'll be getting my tax returns soon, so I plan on buying a harmonizer. I tried the boss and digitech pedals, and they sounded like pure garbage. So, it has come down to a Lexicon mpx unit, a G major, a Digitech dhp55, or an Alesis. I am totally new to this kind of thing, and the accuracy and speed of the harmonies are very important to me because I will mostly be using it for solos. I hated the boss and digitech pedals mostly because of how false they sounded, and how it essentially constrained me to only playing within the major scale. I use a lot of diminished and harmonic minor scales, so a smart harmonizer is essential. Unfortunately, I can't afford an Eventide. Does anyone have any reccomendations for me?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I wasn't aware the MPX line had intelligent Harmonizing - my MPX500 doesn't, but maybe the newer ones do.

Other options are the Boss VF-1 (a half rack multi effect box). Not the greatest harmonizer, but if you want a LOT of flexibility, a great box - they never shoulda stopped making this one.

And the new Zoom G2 cheapo multi effects. The harmonizer is no worse than the Boss, but the other effects aren't as good (and it's nowhere near as flexible). But it's $100 new.

But besides Eventide, those old Digitechs are still the best for pure intelligent harmonizing (largely because you can track from a separate signal from your actual sound). Other ones to consider are the IPS33B and DHP33 (same machine, and same quality as the DHP55, but fewer harmonies) and the Studio 5000 (same box as the DHP55).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question; even if I got an Eventide, would I have to play everything diatonically? For example, say I was playing in F# Phrygian hexatonically like this:

G-----------------------------5-7-9-|
D------------------4-5-7------------|
A--------3-5-7----------------------|
E-2-3-5-----------------------------|

Would the harmonizer pick up on that, or could I not skip notes?
And say I set it for A harmonic minor. Could I start on an E and play E phrygian dominant? Or would I always have to start on the root of the scale?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Well, if you're buying new your options are limited - Besides the eventides and the new Zooms, I dunno WHAT's out there - most of what I mentioned you can't buy new any more. A few have mentioned some DigiTech pieces, but I dunno how well the tracking compares to the old ones. AFAIK, the Studio 5000 was the last IVL-designed model. I could be wrong; maybe the algorithms are used in all the DigiTech boxes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah, I see. I think the 2120 preamps come with the harmonizers but I'm not really sure. I was under the impression that the G majors had some sort of harmonizers, but there really isn't much detailed information about it on their site, and neither is there on harmonycentral.com.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Does the G-force have a good harmonizer then?

I was watching Steve Vai's Astoria DVD and his pedalboard has "G-force pitch" on it and seems to be void of Eventide. Does this mean he nolonger uses Eventides for harmonizing duties?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
razorsuppository said:
Ah, I see. I think the 2120 preamps come with the harmonizers but I'm not really sure. I was under the impression that the G majors had some sort of harmonizers, but there really isn't much detailed information about it on their site, and neither is there on harmonycentral.com.
Can you download a manual? Digitech's usually pretty good about that - you can DL a manual for the IPS33 and it was discontinued 15 years ago!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.