Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So technically not a JS but I feel like it will be welcomed in this thread. To add to my JS collection I got an R 540 1987 first year in black with backstop still installed. It's hum bucker in the bridge and then two singles. I would attach a photo but it hasn't been working. I will try again though. Haven't received it yet. Nope can't attach pictures despite the drag and drop. Not sure why.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes I have a Radius as well. I've seen Rich's posts on the subtle difference to the JS body, but I love both. I mod'd the heck out of my Radius paint and new neck, but love the body.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel like I want to know how much of the JS is Ibanez and how much is Joe Satriani. I feel like getting the original Radius is a good way to gauge that. I look forward to it. Probably next week or so it should arrive.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I suspect that's a typo.

S has wizard neck
R had a little fatter neck as does the JS.

S is thin body and R has the "airfoil" like the JS

I'd say that the JS was subtly enhanced by Joe - pretty close to the old R. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suspect that's a typo.

S has wizard neck
R had a little fatter neck as does the JS.

S is thin body and R has the "airfoil" like the JS

I'd say that the JS was subtly enhanced by Joe - pretty close to the old R. Just my opinion.
It was a typo you are right.

I used to own an S540 HH and I really didn't like it. It has a backstop as well. I am thinking the R will be much more my style. Should arrive later in the week.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see :)

I myself aquired a 540R ( 1988 ) very recently and have been working on restoring it to good playability, and it's awesome. It also came with the Backstop
I'm glad to hear that. I look forward to getting mine, visually it looks like it's in very good shape, but when you get a used guitar, you always gotta throw on new strings and see how it is. It's supposed to ship today and I think thursday might be a realistic delivery date.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the Radius today. Feel wise a JS is better in every dimension. However the sound of the singles and the split humbucker are great and even the humbucker has a pretty jangley sound compared to the FRED and Mo'Joe I'm used to. (that's not gonna be it's strap I just borrowed from another guitar for now)

·
Registered
580 Posts
That's a good move. If I didn't have too any guitars I'd probably try to find one similar to yours and leave it stock. I've got a fully stock 540-S but basically never play it since I don't like the skinny necks anymore.

I mod'd up the radius I have because it had the sharkfins which I hate, plus the body was really dinged up. And I decided to go crazy with the paint job.

I think I might just leave it stock. The guitar has a cool sound and if I want a fuller sound I have a dozen plus JS guitars I can pick up.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a good move. If I didn't have too any guitars I'd probably try to find one similar to yours and leave it stock. I've got a fully stock 540-S but basically never play it since I don't like the skinny necks anymore.

I mod'd up the radius I have because it had the sharkfins which I hate, plus the body was really dinged up. And I decided to go crazy with the paint job.
I hated everything about my 540S. Except the color. Black.

·
Registered
580 Posts
There was a time when I liked the skinny wizard necks. That time stopped about 20 years ago, and I bought an American Tele. I haven't played the 540S since. If I thought I could sell it for decent money I probably would. It's completely stock with the backstop. Nice guitar really.

Now I mostly play the JSs and the tele.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There was a time when I liked the skinny wizard necks. That time stopped about 20 years ago, and I bought an American Tele. I haven't played the 540S since. If I thought I could sell it for decent money I probably would. It's completely stock with the backstop. Nice guitar really.

Now I mostly play the JSs and the tele.
Mine had backstop too, I didn't know that was special so I sold it to an acquaintence super cheap. It's OK though it was not the guitar for me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts