Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're just starting to find out the real extent of the damage left behind by Hurricane Kartrina. Clean up and rebuilding are going be huge jobs and there are a whole lot of folks out there in need of some help. So here's an easy opportunity for everyone to give a little. In return for donating $25, you get a shot at some very cool stuff. I've gotten together with Ben Fargen from Fargen Amplifiers and Steve Blucher from DiMarzio and we've put together some serious prizes.

First Prize is a koa/swamp ash Soloway Swan LN6 with a value of $2550

Second Prize is Fargen Bastage recording amplifier with a value of $695

Here's a link to all the details on the Fargen site

http://www.fargenamps.com/bastage.html

Third Prize is a pair of DiMarzio pickups. You decide what model.

To enter, just send $25 by PayPal to [email protected]

If you don't have a PayPal account, e-mail me and I'll give you instructions.

The drawing will take place on September 15.

100% OF THE MONEY COLLECTED WILL GO TO THE AMERICAN RED CROSS.

Last year, we raised $2350 for Tsunami relief in just a few days. This time, we took in over $5,000 in the first 24 hours. With the raffle open for 16 days, let's see if we can raise ten times that amount this time.

And to help everyone reach for their wallet, here are a few more photos of the prize guitar.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
Well, this is a rather unique situation. It is an excellent opportunity to help the folks affected by Katrina, and also to win some cool stuff. If folks want to add to the thread to say that they've contributed that should be ok and allow the thread to stay up top. Let's remember that it isn't a thread for discussion, though, rather it's an opportunity to contribute and possibly win something in return. If people who've contributed by sending on their $25 dollars to Jim want to say so in this thread, it should keep it close to the top.

And thanks again Jim! (you've got mine!)

jim

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Here's the update as of 09/06/05:

First the accounting….

I'm amazed at the way the guitar community has opened its hearts and its wallets for the effort. We've taken in about $10,000 through PayPal alone and judging by the e-mails, there should be a bunch more already in the mail. After a slow holiday weekend, donations have picked up again and with nine days to go, I'm hoping we can reach a total of $20,000.

On Friday, I made the first transfer from PayPal. It takes a few days to arrive, so late this week I should be able to make an initial donation of $8,600 plus whatever checks arrive by then.

For those of you who haven't yet seen it, here's a link to info on the raffle.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/Raffle2.htm

And now, in no particular order, the additional prizes…..

Jason and Stephanie Lollar have contributed a pair of Lollar Imperial humbuckers. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, Imperials are wonderful pickups, as smooth, creamy and clear as any humbuckers I've ever heard. The value is $300.

For info on Lollar pickups and guitars, go to http://www.lollarguitars.com/

From Jeff Earl at J Design Speaker Enclosures comes a fully loaded 1x12 cabinet designed specially to match the Fargen Bastage amplifier that was included in the original prize list. The cabinet is Solid Poplar, with a Natural Bee's Wax/Orange oil finish, Oxblood stripe grill, Eminence Red Coat "Stonehenge" speaker. Value is $400. The cabinet will be given with the Fargen amp making the total value of the prize $1,099.

To see some of Jeff's wonderful cabinets, go to http://www.jdesigncabs.com/

And for amp fans, Derek Bernier of Rock Solid Amps has generously donated an Engl E322 Thunder two channel, 50 watt combo. Rock Solid's price on the Thunder is $1,119.

For more info on Rock Solid and their full lineup of amps, go to h http://rocksolidamps.com/

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, my thanks for those of you on this site who have participated. The raffle closes on Sept 15, so if anyone's interested, you can still get in.

As of this evening, we've taken in about $11,500. I made the first transfer out of PayPal last Friday for $8,600. Today I combined that with the checks that have arrived and delivered a donation of $9,650 to the American Red Cross. It was designated soecifically to the victims in Biloxi, Mississippi. SO much attention has been paid to New Orleans that I was concerned that the victims in Mississippi might get overlooked. I'm hoping to make a second significant donation next week and I'm more than happy to listen to oppnions as to where that should be directed.

Several more prizes have been donated to the cause, bringing the total value to aprox. $5,400.

Once again, thanks for the support. I'll give you another report early next week.

Jim Soloway

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
If anyone who has sent a contribution on to Jim for this extremely worthwhile cause wants to say so here in the thread, please go ahead. It would help to keep the thread up near the top, and I know a lot of you have contributed.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I'll chip in mine tonight, we gave to the Red Cross a couple of days ago too. You don't feel like you can do enough, but we still have our own bills to pay. But hey, thats a sweet guitar, amps, pickups, etc...:cool:

This is awesome Jim, thanks to all you guys for contributing this cool stuff! Big hearted, all of ya! I'll pass a link to the raffle site on to some other guitar related forums, this is definitely not one of those raffles where you want to keep the number of entries down to increase your odds of winning:)

Roger

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As of 09/14/05, we've done pretty well. Entries are now about $15,000. I made a second donation to the Red Cross today of $3,514 and we've already donated about $12,700. There's about $1700 in the PayPal account and several more checks on the way. The balance will go in next week after the last snail mail entries arrive. The raffle officially closes at noon tomorrow, so hopefully we can end with a flourish.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The raffle is now officially CLOSED! We will continue to accept donations by mail that are postmarked by today. Any more PayPal entries or late mail entries will be added to the donation, but they will not qualify for the drawing.

In order to accomodate the inconsisitencies of postal delivery, we will hold the drawing on September 22.

Thanks to everyone for making this effort such a success.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.