Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents,

For those of you who aren't aware of what's been happening, there has been a huge chart battle going on over here in the UK for the christmas number 1, between Joe McElderry (winner of X-Factor reality TV mucsic show) and Rage Against the Machine.

Final results were announced today and,

WE DID IT!!!

Rage won, meaning the monotous world of manufactured pop's grip on the british public's mindset has been loosened, giving hope for real music perhaps to once again flourish.

What are your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
i'm glad to see that the hold of manufactured pop has been broken, if only for an instant.

I was feeling sorry for Joe until I saw an interview with him in one of the tabloids and he came over a bit like a spoiled brat who "expected" the Christmas number 1. I lost a lot of respect for him then. I know he's only 18 or so but still...

There's the counter argument that it was a "lynch mob" mentality that championed RATM, but sometimes I guess the public has to take justoce into its own hands. In a musical sense of course ;)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the thing that really put me off Joe was when he said RATM were (and I quote) "talentless", after having listened to the song.

How many albums has he written? How many years has he been involved in the music business? Oh yeah...

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have little sympathy for the lad - he sold his soul to the devil when he signed to Cowell's label. He's still gonna get rich from that glorified karaoke fest however and there'll be plenty more to follow just the same.. This is only a drop in the ocean.

I have time for plenty of manufactured pop, just look at the Beatles early records - they went on however to show the immense talent that what was there though - but the X factor; really, come on... I give it little time and thought and will still choose not too.

Still; it's nice for real music to have it's day in the sun though and shows there's a depth of support out there. Raise a glass i say to real talent winning a battle! The history books are still gonna have to record RATM as a christmas No:1 - awesome! How about Slipknot next year???

·
Registered
285 Posts
Can't say I'm upset about out all this. BUT why didn't the British public decide to make a 'home-act' number one, in a time of financial crisis they float their money abroad? :S instead of funding their own music industry....

heart was in the right place, head not though :/

·
Registered
336 Posts
Can't say I'm upset about out all this. BUT why didn't the British public decide to make a 'home-act' number one, in a time of financial crisis they float their money abroad? :S instead of funding their own music industry....

heart was in the right place, head not though :/
It had nothing to do with money.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It had nothing to do with money.
thats why i said the principal (the heart) was in the right place but the economics (head) wasnt.

it was a great stand for the people reclaiming THEIR music industry, but they could have reclaimed THEIR music industry by promoting THEIR music.

maybe im wrong.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's because it would have been difficult to find such an anthem which would unite people as effectively. Forgive me if I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I think it's because it would have been difficult to find such an anthem which would unite people as effectively. Forgive me if I'm wrong though.
Bad News - Cashing in on Christmas

It's on Itunes, I know this because I bought it.

Or better still

Steel Panther - Death to all but Metal or The Shocker

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Bare in mind that RATM are giving away all the proceeds to the homeless charity Shelter. Now, which is more in keeping with the spirit of Christmas? Helping the homeless or generating yet another pop-drivel act?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8423340.stm
Whilst I'm not interested in all the religious nonsense that mid winter festivals bring out, helping the homeless is wonderful.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
that xfactor is a load of bollox.yes fair enough that joe kid can sing,but like previous winners of xfactor he wont have a clue about writing songs.heres a prediction he will release a cover song then you will never hear of him again.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
that xfactor is a load of bollox.yes fair enough that joe kid can sing,but like previous winners of xfactor he wont have a clue about writing songs.heres a prediction he will release a cover song then you will never hear of him again.
Tweedy is on her way round now mate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts