Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Rainforest Pricing, js3,js4,js5

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Rich 
I'f I had the cash I'd pay the $25K, that's a slam dunk investment and if you really want one, "the time to buy is when you see it" because you might never see another one for sale for a LONG time. When I started getting into collecting Ibanez guitars (around 2000), I remembered the JS3 from back in the day from the catalogs and started to inquire about it. I quickly realized that even if a guy was sitting on a mountain full of cash, you still had to find someone to let one go. Again, the fact you have someone willing to part with a forrest is the hardest part of getting one. From the early 2000s till now I bet the times I've seen a JS3 for sale is under 10 (not that I know all the times they were for sale) but to be safe I'd say it easily under 20 times in 20 yrs (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

With just 10 JS5's..... if donnies are going for over $15k and there's 60-300 of them worldwide (who really knows?)
In this thread; https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/ngd-js1000-rainforest-136475-2.html , Rich has the JS5s at 12 and also says "Any Donnie number is an educated guess, I'd guess closer to 60 than 80. The official number is 40 but that doesn't jive with the evidence, or, does it?"

So a possible 300 is out of the question.....

If I'm not mistaken Rich claims 22 on the Js4 (correct me if I'm wrong Rich)

I think $25k isn't crazy if donnies are going for over $15k
15K would be cheap, misterspakle on ebay a few yrs ago sold one for $27K or $28.
One here on jemsite back in october of 2019 just offered a trade for a REMC or original UV77MC and $10k or he'd take $20k outright.
https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f31/ft-real-js3-donnie-hunt-6-uv77mc-cash-164969.html

sure would be nice to see a letter from Hoshino stating they developed X amount of js3's... but I can't seem to find anyone from that time period who worked on that project.. I didn't even know mike lipe passed.
Rich says letters to hoshino for production #s has already been attempted yrs ago....
Also, if you implying lipe drew the donnies, he didn't, it was Donnie Hunt and Donnie has passed away in 1996

but I can't seem to find anyone from that time period who worked on that project..
In my opinion, Rich is the leading authority on the history of any JS2, JS3, JS4, JS5 series guitars

I know donnie painted them, so i wasn't suggesting Mike Lipe painted them, but Lipe did one of the necks for a prototype donnie so he did have something to do with them Mr knowitall
You know, "Mr knowitall" spent a while going back though my saved threads to try to help you and you're being a d**k about it. I wasn't trying to insult you by giving you information, I was trying to help you. I'll bet my life you didn't know 1/2 of the things I told you before I posted it, if you did, you wouldn't have even mentioned the "300" production count on the jS3 (or at least you would have debunked that claim) or asking about the letter from hoshino. I've been into the custom js guitars from the time they came out as I had a chance to order 1 new, but being a 18-19 yr old kid at the time, I couldn't afford it. I've been a proud member on this site much longer than you and I might know a bit more about this stuff than you do as I have spent HOURS reading and saving pertinent info on these great guitars.

... I said he may have some knowledge of numbers as he was around them in 91'...
No you didn't..... you might want to re-read your post...

Recently I found a guy with a Rainforest js5 and he was asking $25k... Since these are all so rare what do you think a fair boutique market price would be for these?
With just 10 JS5's I think $25k isn't crazy if donnies are going for over $15k and there's 60-300 of them worldwide (who really knows?) and the js4 Rainbow has been on eBay for $14K for like 5 years now... and that run is 20 guitars? It's hard to price the donnies with a claim number of 300.. who knows there could be 200 in Asia ... sure would be nice to see a letter from Hoshino stating they developed X amount of js3's... but I can't seem to find anyone from that time period who worked on that project.. I didn't even know mike lipe passed..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.