Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of a wiring predicament. I will be SO grateful for any help at all!!

I've wired up my Michael Kelly patriot premium with the a les paul wiring kit (all the best CTS and switchcraft parts), 2 humbuckers etc, but I decided to go 1master volume and 1master tone for convenience. I've been having an annoying grounding hum problem and everything is correctly grounded, bridge, all the hardware etc, and all the connections are clean and strong. I couldn't figure it out, but then upon trying to use the tone pot for the first time I realised that it was just acting as a second master volume, changing the output of both pickups when turned, not acting like a tone at all. I used a seymour duncan diagram to do it as I'm using duncan pickups, everything is in order, does anyone have any idea what it might be?? Really need help on this. Thanks. Tom

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
It is possible that the capacitor is damaged, but far more likely that you have made an error somewhere in your wiring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I unsoldered and re-did every connection in the circuit to make sure they were all strong and clean, but it didn't change anything, I haven't tried switching the cap yet, will give it a go but there shouldn't be a problem with it as it's the one that came in the kit and it's brand new.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
There are only 2 options:
1. A component is malfunctioning.
2. You've made a mistake in your wiring.

I suspect it will turn out to be the second, but just because the cap is brand new doesn't mean it is guaranteed to work. Did you let it get too hot when you installed it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol, it was the capacitor. I'm such a douche, I shoulda checked that before I posted the thread. Cheers guys, it's totally silent now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts