Ibanez JEM Forum banner
23K views 197 replies 44 participants last post by  joeydahlia 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a Pod Xt

Let me know if you like this tone also..?

This is also a remix ,I doubled the tracs and added bass and different delay's to 2 of them..

If you have an Xt and want this tone..just pop me an email..

If you think a mic'n a tube amp is better ,Please tell why?

http://65.254.79.230/nanalentils.mp3

Well here is another remix I did with the Xt

http://65.254.79.230/bed5.mp3

Here is my brand new metal shred song Uncle Willie,This song took 7 months to write the lead..It was freaking hard..But you can hear how clean the Xt really is..

http://65.254.79.230/willie.mp3

JoeyDahlia

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't get it, where's the part where you A/B it against a real tube amp?

Anyway, wherever your tone is generated, I don't care for it. It's very shrill, very neoclassical metal, and sounds rather "pinched," imo. Sorta like a humbucker-driven Malmsteen, or an exaggerated Macalpine. It's also drenched in a bit too much reverb, and is slightly buzzy in the highs and has the overexaggerated bass response and papery pick attack that a combination of speaker modeling (and way too much reverb) will give you.

If that's an XT, you haven't done a thing to convince me to sell my Mesa Nomad and buy one. ;)

I'll give you credit, though, you're timing has improved a bit since the last thing you've posted.

-D

#7 ·
I'm sorry but this doens't sound as good when comparing to your previous bed5.mp3
This is moslty due to the tone (or lack thereof...) it hints at Satriani's engines of creation.

After your previous thread I looked into the XT website, downloaded some samples and was even more impressed by your tone on "bed5", as there wasn't a single distorted pod sample sound that I liked. I had previously checked them in local music stores and came to the same conclusion. To be fair most rack systems have terrible/unusable presets in general, my GSP2101 was no exception when I got it. That machine is also hooked up to my stereo, using the speaker simulation outputs. But that sound doesn't come close to the tone I get using a Marshal EL34 power amp. So I'm with Drew on this, tubes do sound better.

FWIW the 2101 uses 12AX7 preamp tubes but I feel most of the warmth is generated in the powertubes.

So keep it up, you may get there.

#9 ·
It's not bad, the big reverb actually kinda fit with the style. A little too much high end for my taste, but I have limited tolerance for that style of music these days anyway, that's not a knock, just my personal opinion. Overall, the tone wasn't bad for what it was, digital will never take the place of a cranked tube amp pushing speakers really hard into a good mic onto tape, but hey, that's going the way of the dinosaur (unfortunately).

Yeah, after going back to listen to bed5, it sounds very similar, maybe that's just your thing.

Roger

#11 · (Edited)
joeydahlia said:
Please post a small clip...I am very curious to hear this mesa stuff..
My Mesa kills. Sadly, my sound card does not, so it loses a lot in the recording process. But, you've already heard some of it - a track you asked me to post ages back (that, as I recall, you actually liked) was done with my Nomad 45 with the gain back a bit, and my old 7620.

"A Pagan's Prayer" over at http://www.purevolume.com/drewpeterson was cut with channel 3 modern, gain back. The rest of the stuff was done with my J-Station (ages ago, before I bought my Nomad), which is actually a bit more organic than many of the modelers I've tried/heard. It's a good tool, but it's no match for a real amp, IMO - WAY to compressed and bass-heavy (I had to sue models designed for 4x12's with 1x12's to get the low end within manageable limits - otherwise, an external EQ is mandatory).

Check it out - the tone isn' quite perfect (I was never 100% sold on that Tone Zone 7, so the lower mids are a bit tubbier than I'd really like) and I cut this after a period of not playing very much so my chops are a little shaky, but it's not super shreddy stuff, anyway.

It's also worth noting that the amp was running so quietly when I did this that I had to throw away my first take at the intro melody because the mic (close mic'd against a speaker, with a cheapo $30 radio shack mic, another source of trouble in the tonal chain ;)) was picking up my watch rattling on the vibrato'd sustained notes. ;)

You might remember this as the song I threw together before you got banned over at www.guitarwar.com. ;)

I'm in the market for a new computer - after I redo my recording setup I'm sure I'll be posting some new material (I'm all fired up to record, since I did this I've picked up a UVPWH and an RG7CST, and both guitars are just inspirations to play), and you'll hear what a properly recorded quality tube amp can sound like. ;) Either way, between my tone here and your tone above, I'll take mine hands down, even in light of all it's "weaknesses" - far more organic, IMO.

-D

Edit- ALC has a lot of stuff on it from a Mesa Rocket-44, forgot about that, lol. Bonus points to anyone who can pick apart what's J-Station and what's Mesa on that one, as I spent a LOT of time trying to dial up a J-Station tone that was a close match for the Rocket. ;)

#13 ·
eviltwin said:
After your previous thread I looked into the XT website, downloaded some samples and was even more impressed by your tone on "bed5", as there wasn't a single distorted pod sample sound that I liked.
Apparently, the V2.0 software on the XT makes a WORLD of difference, and the device is almost useable after you upgrade it. Never gotten a chance to compare a v2 XT myself, but it's worth noting that Line6 is notorious for posting horrendous sound demos to their site, and the XT is considered a prime offender.

-D

#15 ·
Hahaha, thanks Vince! I keep tellin' ya, after the new computer, I just have to be good and not buy a new guitar in the next couple months and I'm on it. :lol:

(vince is a f'in monster himself, if any of you guys haven't heard his stuff I suggest swinging over to the sevenstring.org jukebox ;))

#19 ·
nightfiend14 said:
Drew, just gave your three songs a listen and I really like em. Great tone on them all. I think you stold some songs right from my brain :) What did you all use when you recorded them?
Haha, sorry 'bout that bro, I'll give 'em right back. ;)

APP was my old 7620 (AN/TZ, volume knob adjusted back and forth to shade the tone here and there) driving my Nomad-45 with the gain fairly low on the third channel's Vintage mode. ALC was mostly my Fender Strat, Gold Lace Sensors, with a Mesa Rocket-44 (basically a paired down Mark-IV, great amp for the price as these can be had cheap) with the gain WAY back, with some stuff added on later from my 7620 (stock at this point) with the IIC+ model on my J-Station. Echoes was my 7620, Tone Zone in the bridge, with the Recto model.

All of this either picked up by a crappy $30 radio shack mic or straight into the soundcard of my rather ghetto '99 Dell laptop, mixed in Sonic Foundry Acid 2.0. :lol:

I'm about to take the plunge on a new computer that (hopefuklly) won't suck, so after that I'll start recording some new stuff. A Pagan's Prayer, the newest, is over a year old, and ALC/Echoes are from back in college, like 4 years ago. :lol:

-D

#22 ·
nightfiend14 said:
You should have one built custom for u instead of just buying a out of the box brand. Better chance it won't suck :)
Actually, that's the route I'm looking into - got a few friends who are into this stuff, and they've kinda sold me on the idea. Besides, it'd be kinda cool to have a non-standard computer - i think I'd like being a computer geek. ;)

Carlo, man, thanks! :)

#25 ·
A tube amp alone isn't a solution - I've heard some good tones out of XT's, and some horrid tones out of otherwise awesome amps. Maybe try backing off your gain a little, your reverb a LOT, and playing with the EQ so it doesn't sound so "pinched?"

Also, it's a cliche and generally starts flame-wars here, but I really do believe tone is in your hands. I don't know what to tell you, really, aside from the fact that I think I grew as a player when I began playing unplugged a lot more - these days, I generally grab a guitar (sometimes acosutic, sometimes electric) and a beverage (beer, bourbon, water, whatever, depends on how bad work was that day ;)) and sit out on my front step just improvising for about a half hour or so. It really forces you to hear the guitar, not the amp, and I think that's hugely valuable.

-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.