Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm looking for software where I can do real sounding orchestral scoring. I already have some midi work but using standard soundfont banks, the result is bland and too machine-like.
I did some research and I came across Edirol HQ Orchestral VST plug-in and Nuendo by Steinberg. I don't know much about these or their price but I know they can get the job done.
Could anybody give me some info on these softwares or any other alternative that has worked for you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nuendo is a glorified sequencer, really designed for post-production work.
For straight MIDI stuff cubase sx would do everything nuendo could.
The edirol product got good reviews 2 years ago...
I have sampletank xl, which has a good bunch of sounds and it is a vst module.
I gather that Reason has a good 'orkestra' set of patches (about 550Mb worth), so if you didn't already have MIDI software it would be an option...
There must be lots of other choices eg the Vienna symphonic stuff, Garritan etc but it would be pricey...
Let me know what you choose.

Guy

·
Registered
541 Posts
gigastudio is a good software but eats up ur CPU/RAM like crazy.

I'd go with Reason 2.5/3.0's orkester libraries. Though quite difficult to get use to (it's complicated), highly customizable and amazing to work with. There's a buttload of things you can do with reason. It's orchestra library is very complete with an exception of a harp. With enough patience and tweaking you can find any sound you want with it.

Fruityloops Studio 4/5 with orchestra samples work very well too. It's easy to work with, and works well. All you have to do is find "good" sounding orchestra samples.

Then there's the high end stuff, which most of us would rather spend the money on a new guitar :p. EW/QL Symphonic Orchestra, Vienne Symphonic...etc.

good luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll go with Reason 3.0. I heard some string demos and they are convincing enough. The price is pretty good too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.