Ibanez JEM Forum banner

really impressed with RGT42

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Munky7 
#1 ·
What a great guitar for the $$$$. I blocked the Floyd, so im not worried about that, however i made4a CRUCIAL mistake when installing an extra spring. My pliars slipped and i put a nice couple scratches in the clearcoat, not pretty. The spring then went up and scratched my lenses. 100$ lens, and ruined the finish on my new guitar.... :(

Anyhow, Ibanez really stepped up the quality on the korean stuff. It's really a good guitar for the money!! I really like the neck profile, the frets are good, the binding applied nicely, no complaints, seems heads baove my RG321, even RG421 I just sold. My 7th Ibanez, and im really impressed.

(for the record, ive owned 3 prestiges, and the two best guitars HAVENT been prestiges. This one is great, but I sold a RG620x 2 years ago that I really regret, it played like absolute butter)

Anyhow, I have no reservations recommending this guitar to anyone, find aused one on ****, and enjoy it. Even the INF pups are decent!

#5 ·
Ibanez is showing that if you don't have enough cash for the Japanese models, you can get the next best thing by buying the Korean models. They've stepped up the quality of these axes to sell more which equals more profits. Ibanez is a popular brand between modern rockers, so their plan may work.

#6 ·
Kamikaze_1 said:
Ibanez is showing that if you don't have enough cash for the Japanese models, you can get the next best thing by buying the Korean models. They've stepped up the quality of these axes to sell more which equals more profits. Ibanez is a popular brand between modern rockers, so their plan may work.
Yeap it's true. My rg is made in china and it works great it have the same feel as the Japanese rg. And it sounded quite good too actually :mrgreen:

#8 ·
Kamikaze_1 said:
wef 2003, i've stopped treating the korean Ibanez as 'the next best thing', IMO they are now up there with the jap makes.

#9 ·
I always enjoy the guys who complain about finished necks being "slow". All it takes is 2 minutes with a scotch brite pad, and you have a "satin" finish that plays just as nice as a standard finish.

If you are bold, you can even sand, then tung oil. But with the scotvh brite treatment, I get a smooth playing neck, without that urethane stick. Easy fix, and I have done it on 2 Jackson Soloist SL2H's with no hassles because of it. There is still paint to protect the finish, but not that sticky clearcoat!

#10 ·
germX said:
wef 2003, i've stopped treating the korean Ibanez as 'the next best thing', IMO they are now up there with the jap makes.
You're just saying that because you've got the SZ2020, aren't you? :wink:

Still, Korean production has certainly improved over the years. As for China, the GIOs are certainly good beginner axes and the Artcore Customs have received rave reviews all around.

#12 ·
gemini8026 said:
What a great guitar for the $$$$. I blocked the Floyd, so im not worried about that, however i made4a CRUCIAL mistake when installing an extra spring. My pliars slipped and i put a nice couple scratches in the clearcoat, not pretty. The spring then went up and scratched my lenses. 100$ lens, and ruined the finish on my new guitar.... :(

Anyhow, Ibanez really stepped up the quality on the korean stuff. It's really a good guitar for the money!! I really like the neck profile, the frets are good, the binding applied nicely, no complaints, seems heads baove my RG321, even RG421 I just sold. My 7th Ibanez, and im really impressed.

(for the record, ive owned 3 prestiges, and the two best guitars HAVENT been prestiges. This one is great, but I sold a RG620x 2 years ago that I really regret, it played like absolute butter)

Anyhow, I have no reservations recommending this guitar to anyone, find aused one on ****, and enjoy it. Even the INF pups are decent!
You're right, that guitar is awesome. I played it today and it was great. I don't know what the big deal is about the finished neck, it felt fine to me and it didn't slow me down. Maybe it had a more "sticky" feel than unfinished necks but it's not that big of a deal. I'm gonna be looking to get the fixed bridge version (rgt42dxfxbkf). Funny only a few days ago I was looking at the RG2550, but now switched directions.

#14 ·
I just bought one (fixed bridge) a few days ago and got a pretty good deal. I used it yesterday for a jam and I was very impressed. The feel of this guitar is great, surprisingly better than my more expensive guitars.
There's just one thing about the finish. It's flat black so you see dark spots on some areas of the guitar, the neck especially. Since your hands are always there it leaves darker areas. It's hard to explain. Anyway, I also heard that next month these guitars are going up in price upto $100 or so. Don't know if that's true or not...I'll try to post some pics after I get the pickups changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.