Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those who remember my thread about what is the best guitar to get in the range of 1000 to 1500 after a lot of discussions I GOT the
Ibanez RG1820xgk that is being shipped as of now... however I am thinking about replacing the stock humbuckers with EMGs, the 81 and 85...

THe questions are and please reply and explain...

the guitar has a roland piezo, will it be effected by the active Pickups or vice versa as one guy told me, he said:" the piezo will kill the boosting sound of emgs... is any of that any true?

what do you recommend, change them or not, keeping in mind that I play Death Metal, Thrash metal, post- modern rock, progressive rock and virtuoso guitars, I need hums that could go for all sounds...

another thing as well, If you recommend NOT to install the emgs on the ibanez ( I already have Emg 81 ) so should I install it on my samick guitar since it has very lousy pickups or it will not be efficient since samick wood isn't of important quality but actives do not care much for wood right? I am thinking about making that guitar (a two hand tapping guitar only) Emgs are loud and good for tapping no?
anyway please read and explain, be sure of your words...

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
If I recall, the roland pickup handles the midi output and that your bridge will handle the piezo. Don't worry about using EMG's with your piezo because technically speaking, piezo pickups don't mix with normal magnetic pickups either (unless you have a mixing preamp like the fishman powerchip).

Your EMG's will just replace your existing magnetic pickups and shouldn't interfere with the piezo or midi functions.

·
Registered
542 Posts
sounds right..you hav to re-wire everything for the emg's to get them active..but there shouldn't be anyreal prob's...

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
As long as you can turn the roland piezo off when you use the EMGs I could not see you having a problem. You might have to do some re-wiring to make sure you are truely taking them out of the loop as some guitars do not actually completely take the pickup out of the loop when they are supposed to be off, but I cannot see a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts