Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first jem 77 fp's is said to have the curtain fabric from Steve Vais own personal curtains from his home.

If this is true, (I actually saw an interview where Steve himself claims this), how big was his curtains?
How many guitars could have possibly been made from those particular curtains? I would figure, not many.

And when they eventually ran out of Steves personal curtains, I assume they must have found identical fabric to continue to make these 77 fp guitars. Around what time did this happen?

Steve himself also claimed the old jem 77 fps all sounded better because of the old original fabric, which can of course be questioned, but what are modern jem 77 fps made of, do they still have the fabric, or is it paint nowdays?

·
Registered
791 Posts
From right here on the site:

"JEM77FP Note - Every JEM77FP Floral Pattern made features an actual floral pattern cloth on the body front, body rear and headstock. The fabric used for the pattern is bonded to the body, painted over black on the edges and then fully clear coated. It comes in several varieties: three body, three headstock and three rear-body floral patterns exist for 27 possible combos. The actual Floral "Pattern" cloth was modeled after the actual curtains from Vai's parents home in LI, NY. His first few (pre-production prototype) Florals were said to be made with the actual curtains.

To dispel a few myths

None of the JEM77FPs sold were made with Vai's actual curtains.

I REPEAT... every JEM77FP ever made has actual cloth. This writeup here on Vai.com is WRONG and the source of confusion. Kindly fix it guys :D

The Floral pattern. Well the fabric first came from a place in the USA that we tracked down from Steve's samples from his house. We purchased it in sheets that were a little bigger than a guitar body pre cut. There are three body patterns and three headstock patterns and each could be on any guitar. Then that company went out of business so we reproduced the same fabric patterns in Japan but we needed to purchase a life time supply, so they still have it and still make the FP's made for other counties, I wish they sold here (USA) but they aren't. So the answer is there are three patterns that could be on any guitar so some out there are identical - courtesy of Ibanez sources 2002"

http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu/jem-specs-77-guitars/

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
fabric=print

It is the same material as the metal designs and is a print on thin material gluded on the body and then got the clear coat. Nothing that special but it looks very nice, not that fancy real thing out steve vai's home. People who wants to sell tells funny stories.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fabric=print

It is the same material as the metal designs and is a print on thin material gluded on the body and then got the clear coat. Nothing that special but it looks very nice, not that fancy real thing out steve vai's home. People who wants to sell tells funny stories.
If I remember it correctly, I have not seen my Jem77 fp in a few years as it is stored, I have a small chip in the clear coat, that actually goes all the way into the fabric, and it actually is not a print, but fabric, as I can feel the fibre of the fabric. But I might remember it wrong though.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
It is cloth/fabric under the clear on the 77FP and NOT like the metal designs.

There are many tutorials online on how to cover a guitar in fabric, and burst and then clear over it to a glassy smooth finish, as per the Jem 77FP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Apologies if this is a bit of a thread hijack, but does anyone have a jpg or similar image file for the floral pattern? I've found this image for the FP2, but never seen one for the original floral?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts