Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I threw down on a series 2 dual rec on ebay. As of yet I don't have a cab for it, and I know very little about guitar cabs in general. Pretty much every amp I've ever had has been a combo.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking a 2x12 due to size and volume constraints. The matching mesa 2x12 is pretty pricey, and I'm not seeing a used one in my area at the moment. I'm willing to throw down the $620 for the Mesa branded cab if thats truly the best option, but is there a suitable, cheaper alternative? I've seen "Avatar" and "Vader" cabs talked about on the various forums as decent. Anyone have any real world experience with these?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the behringer ultra cabs. paid a little over 200 for each.
I'm splitting them up once in awhile, to a/b thru two different amps. but alot of the time
I'm hammering thru both chained together. can't beat them speakers! good luck

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have a 2x12 Avatar with a V30 and a G12H30. Great sound and you don't have to pay for the name/marketing like you do with the Mesa.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was worrying about buying cabs just a few months ago. Of course, I went here, heard many different options.

I looked at avatar, marshall, carvin, whitebox, and mesa. First of all, I had a general bias towards anything Mesa because of their superior reputation. I basically limited it down to Avatar and Mesa.

IMHO, Avatar is a great company. One of my friends had the 4x12 (classic i believe) and it sounded very well rounded, however, it was not that "WOW" type cab. However, they're considered an alternative to Mesa, and they're just that. An alternative.

Needless to say, I bought a used Mesa 2x12 rect from a craigslist listing. The downside is that this beast does not come with casters, and it's a pain to lug around any other way. The cab (running a 5150) sounds very punchy, nice prescence, and overall I believe a better rounded cab than Avatars.

Both companies are great, however, in the long run Mesa will be your best bet IMO.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the responses guys! I feel like a tool for posting this, as a search revealed a great many threads on the subject. Has anyone had the opportunity to a/b the recto 2x12 and the comparable avatar?

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
doesn't matter the brand if it has celestions,nobody can tell what cab people are using without looking so what matters is its speakers and not the brand.
Marshall,mesa,peavey and even behringer.
Buy 2 2X12.Easier to carry around.
Depends on the size of the venue you can use them as 1 4X12 or split them stereo.
If you're a bedroom player you could put each one left/right and have an awesome stereo set up for stereo effects.

·
Registered
53 Posts
doesn't matter the brand if it has celestions,nobody can tell what cab people are using without looking so what matters is its speakers and not the brand.
Don't forget Eminence! Love the RedCoat stuff...

I gotta put in a good word for the Vader since you mentioned it. If you're playing anything remotely heavy that's a sick cab choice. Can't say how well it performs in stuff outside the rock and metal genres, but the guitarist of one of my old bands had a Vader 4x12 and a 5150 (had to have been modded. godly sounding head). Beast. Very solid and clear tones. The construction is beast status as well, especially if you get the tour guard. You could fire artillery shells at it and it'd still look new.

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Don't forget Eminence! Love the RedCoat stuff....
I don't like eminence,they're pretty low quality.
About 4 years ago a friend of mine who builds tube amps and cabs tested some eminences side by side with celestions,eminences lost in all subjects including how they sounded through our ears.Celestions are more focused with better frequencies and really better built quality ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Does anyone know what woods diezel even uses? Their manuals say select hardwoods...

Diezel seems to me to be overpriced and overrated.

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Does anyone know what woods diezel even uses? Their manuals say select hardwoods...

Diezel seems to me to be overpriced and overrated.
Some voodoo magical woods which will turn your tone into something magical!
Nonsense myths cause we all know tones is in the fingers ;)

:)

Probably they don't tell which woods they use because they cut them from amazon forest.
And we all will pay that price.

·
Registered
175 Posts

:)

Probably they don't tell which woods they use because they cut them from amazon forest.
And we all will pay that price.

I remember them saying that they used either African or Madagascar woods on their website ages ago.

Maybe its changed but the cab's I've seen are very solid, tend to have great speakers in and you have to admit, that "Diezel" Logo is pretty damn cool looking

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Nonsense, everyone knows that tone only comes from real dimarzios !

So I've been talking to a guy I found on craigslist here locally about building a cab. He seems fairly knowledgeable. He recommended using WGS Veteran 30 speakers, as he believes them to be superior to the celestion vintage 30s that come in the mesa cab. He sent me some photos of the cabinet he's currently working on. He said I should call him in a few hours so "I can talk you through what I do and why my rock boxes sound so good and last forever."

Attached are some photos he sent me of his current project, a 1x12.

Does it look not quite "square" to you guys? Or is that just the odd angle of the photo..

What questions should I ask him? Can anyone talk about the construction techniques in a quality speaker cabinet? Is it foolish to consider doing this over buying a manufactured, warrantied cab from a reputable company?

After trading a few emails with him and telling him what amp I'd be using, he said he could build a cab for $400.

Thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
It really is a gut feeling-ish move. Ask him if you can test/hear a cab before having him build one for you. He very well could be a home run type cab maker, but then again, his stuff could be just meh.

Manufacturers such as Mesa have been around a while now, which gives them more time to perfect their sounds thru their amps (and others as well).

·
Registered
858 Posts
So I've been talking to a guy I found on craigslist here locally about building a cab. He seems fairly knowledgeable. He recommended using WGS Veteran 30 speakers, as he believes them to be superior to the celestion vintage 30s that come in the mesa cab. He sent me some photos of the cabinet he's currently working on. He said I should call him in a few hours so "I can talk you through what I do and why my rock boxes sound so good and last forever."

Attached are some photos he sent me of his current project, a 1x12.

Does it look not quite "square" to you guys? Or is that just the odd angle of the photo..

What questions should I ask him? Can anyone talk about the construction techniques in a quality speaker cabinet? Is it foolish to consider doing this over buying a manufactured, warrantied cab from a reputable company?

After trading a few emails with him and telling him what amp I'd be using, he said he could build a cab for $400.

Thanks!
Just say no, bro.

The Avatar, a known brand, is $400. You could buy a used Mesa 2x12 for about $400. Either would have better resale value as well. With Avatar or Mesa you get Celestion Vintage 30's x 2 that go for about $145 each. This guy is offering 2 speakers that go for $69 each, yet he's charging you $400?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Different cabs do sound different with the same speakers.
Just like different guitars sound different with the same pickups.

For the Dual Recto, you will want V30's as they compliment the natural voicing of these amps.

I would look into Whitebox cabs for a custom made cab, and also look for a Randall 2x12 with V30's as they are priced low, but are of great quality. The Randall will easily match the performance of a Mesa 2x12.
I have experience with this fact, and own these and many other cabs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up going with a 2x12 mesa cab, found a cheap one on guitar center online.

Thanks so much for your input folks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts