Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum.

I'm currently trying to restore a really beat up Ibanez RG 550ex from 2000 and I have sourced everything I need but the switch has me stumped. It's HSH configuration and I just want to do 'stock' RG style HSH wiring. I'm looking for a good quality switch, not bothered about manufacturers.

I've heard weird stuff about the RG config that means certain fender style.switches just won't work. What about the YM 50? Sorry but I have searched for a definite answer on this and can't find one.

Many thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
Any 5-way superswitch will work just fine, the difference is that the standard strat type 5-way is not designed to split the humbucker coils in positions 2 and 4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or what does everyone else use? What wiring diagram matches a good switch?

Having worked on Fender's for so long Ibanez's seem unnecessarily fiddly.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Or what does everyone else use? What wiring diagram matches a good switch?

Having worked on Fender's for so long Ibanez's seem unnecessarily fiddly.
Luddite.

You can download the original wiring diagram for your RG from Ibanez' website if the extra two wires are confusing you, think of it as a Strat with 5 single coils and a trem that actually stays in tune if that helps. :devil:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.