Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a G&L S-500. I don't particularly care for the stock pickups in it. I am considering replacing them with something that would get me a decent Blackmore tone or a SRV tone (not sure yet).

I've heard Dimarzio Red Velvets sound awesome for rock (and can mix in blues for the middle and neck).... but I am open to pretty much anything.

Not sure if I am even going to bother, but what should I check out?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Well, I love the G&L S-500 pickups. I primarily use them as neck pickups. I feel like the neck position is very SRV-ish. If you combine them with a more traditional strat middle pickup, you get a great SRV in-between tone. As for a bridge pickup, I like to use rails pickups when I can, because you can coil cut them for a vintage output sound. Otherwise the Duncan 1/4lb tapped pickup is great if you can tap it with a push/pull. The Seymour Duncan hot is a good one too.

As a side note, since I love those G&L's I might like to trade you something for them, or for one or two of them. Or let me know if you buy some pups.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. I find they are far from SRVish though. Not fat by any means, but loud. I use 11s now and have used 13s in the past....

I had a Hot Rails bridge in the bridge for a while. I had to cut the body of the guitar to make it fit.. but shh dont tell (the pickguard hides my hackjob... literally with a chisel! lol). I put it in and took it out a few times, leaving it out ever since I got my Les Paul (so i have a single coil and a humbucker in the bridge position).

I found that the G&L pickups were so loud that they buried the Hot Rails in the bridge too much... part of it is that single coils have full harmonics so they sound louder, but the balance wasnt right!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Angelo Guitars said:
I personally haven't used them, but have heard that Duncan "Duckbuckers" give a nice SRV type of tone.
The clips on seymourduncan.com don't sound SRVish but they have a nice strat twang sound to them. Could sound SRVish with the right amp (like my Marshall Major) perhaps...

·
Registered
163 Posts
John Suhr pickups. he used to be the master builder for Fender's custom shop and made all the guitars for Clapton, Buddy Guy, etc. but most importantly Scott Henderson. Scott uses his pups (and dimarzio virtual vintage 2's for the noise killing) and he loves em according to his responses from his question thingee on his forum.

if you havent heard scott, i definately reccomend listening to him. hes definatley one of my favorite improvisers and he just straight torches the fretboard man.

http://www.suhrguitars.com/suhroptions.htm its the v60 single coil.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
I've been running a set of Gold Lace Sensors in my strat for years now - great, glassy sounding pickups, and DEAD quiet - the grounding's a bit off in my apartment, but my strat's no louder than my UV, and the middle single on that thing is basically useless for high gain if I'm not playing a steady string of notes and want the occasional dramatic pause.

As an added plus, because there's virtually no magnetic pull, if you so choose you can set them quite close to the strings with no intonation/sustain problems, and get quite a lot of output from a traditional sounding "strat" pickup, very nearly on par with some vintage humbuckers.

-D

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
AMD1014 said:
Texas Specials ;)
Yup. Get 'em. I've had a few strats with these and I find them the closest to SRV - they are hot single coils and breakup early. They are NOT clean, ringing pickups, but man, they sound great for Blues.

My latest FrankenStrat has the Custome Shop '69's which come in numbered, signed sets from Abigail Ybarro. They are limited and not cheap, but for most instances the Texas Specials are excellent.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I have not long purchased a new strat myself, 2 days ago actually. I too am thinking of new pickups. I am tempted by the Lace Sensors alot, I have only heard good things about the Gold ones. But because I am such a big Yngwie fan, I think I may have to go with the old YJM, HS-2, HS-3 kinda combo thing. Admitedly they arent high output, but overdriven they sound awesome. I am very tempted by the Gold Lace Sensors too though!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Drew said:
I've been running a set of Gold Lace Sensors in my strat for years now - great, glassy sounding pickups, and DEAD quiet - the grounding's a bit off in my apartment, but my strat's no louder than my UV, and the middle single on that thing is basically useless for high gain if I'm not playing a steady string of notes and want the occasional dramatic pause.

As an added plus, because there's virtually no magnetic pull, if you so choose you can set them quite close to the strings with no intonation/sustain problems, and get quite a lot of output from a traditional sounding "strat" pickup, very nearly on par with some vintage humbuckers.

-D
Hmm, I have some vintage style humbuckers now. I never liked lace sensors whenever I played them, but maybe raising them up or playing with amp settings would change my mind.

We really need to compare equipment sometime :p

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the.godfather said:
I have not long purchased a new strat myself, 2 days ago actually. I too am thinking of new pickups. I am tempted by the Lace Sensors alot, I have only heard good things about the Gold ones. But because I am such a big Yngwie fan, I think I may have to go with the old YJM, HS-2, HS-3 kinda combo thing. Admitedly they arent high output, but overdriven they sound awesome. I am very tempted by the Gold Lace Sensors too though!
As much Yngwie bashing as I do, he really does make single coils scream!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Yeah, I know, eh? We have VERY different attitudes towards gear, could make for an interesting time. ;)

One of these times I'm swinging through the Berkshires, we gotta meet up.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jemaholic said:
Actually, I think the stock pickups in my YGM are stacked double-coils?
Yes you are right. They are designed to sound like single coils, so I always think they are single coils...

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Drew said:
Yeah, I know, eh? We have VERY different attitudes towards gear, could make for an interesting time. ;)

One of these times I'm swinging through the Berkshires, we gotta meet up.
Yeah I know. Hope to be getting my Major fixed soon. I took it apart yesterday and none of the tube sockets looked ****ed up. The only thing that look fried was this old (probably original in 69!) long green capacitor that turned mostly black. This might not be too ugly after all.

I took all the tubes out of the Major, and played around with 12ax7s in the Studio 15 eventually deciding on the JJ and EH I had put into the Major (huge upgrade over the Sovtek 12AX7LPS in there before).

·
Registered
412 Posts
My '91 Strat Plus has been a home to Fender Gold Lace Sensors, Dimarzio Virtual Vintage (a blue and maybe a red), a DiMarzio Fred in the bridge, and now has an EMG David Gilmour set. I really appreciate the mid boost for solos.

For the tone you seem to be looking for - maybe a set of Fender custom shop reissue pu's. I'm not sure if they are wound by Gail Ybarra, she's been there since the days of Leo...

I think SRV told people (and believed) that his strat was a '59, but it seems that the neck, body and pu's were from '60 or '61.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts