Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...a 3 or 4-channel high-gain amp head with an effects loops for under $1000. I don't care if it's SS or tube. I mainly just looking for options. Any help is MUCH appreciated.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Under $1000? The only ones that came to mind at first were Diezels and the Mesa Road King (both of which sound amazing, but are way over your price range I believe).

What kind of channels are you looking for? A friend of mine has a Randall RH-200 which is solid state, with a decent clean sound, and two decent high-gain sounds (one channel, but you can switch between a more brit sound and a more modern Randall sound). Comes with a footswitch for channel switching as well as gain-mode switching (two buttons I believe) and has an effects loop.

Other options:
Line6 of some kind (Duoverb or a used Flextone/Vetta/something)
Peavey XXL
Marshall AVT150H
Tech21 Trademark 300
Peavey XXX (not sure if this is over your budget)

There's probably more, this is just what a quick browse brought up. I've heard good things about most of them.

·
Registered
873 Posts
rev.. you could try the nomad 100 head. it's got 3 channels with different modes for each channel.. you could probably get one for under 1000 on ebay... i hear they are a great midpoint between the recto and the mark series.

here is a link to one on ebay right now:

auction number: 3742849122

good luck man

other than that, two hands mentioned the rh-200.. pretty good sound for the money.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two hands31 said:
Under $1000? The only ones that came to mind at first were Diezels and the Mesa Road King (both of which sound amazing, but are way over your price range I believe).
Oh I would LOVE to have a Mesa Road King or a Diezel Herbert, but alas, I don't have $3000+ to spare. ;)

What kind of channels are you looking for? A friend of mine has a Randall RH-200 which is solid state, with a decent clean sound, and two decent high-gain sounds (one channel, but you can switch between a more brit sound and a more modern Randall sound). Comes with a footswitch for channel switching as well as gain-mode switching (two buttons I believe) and has an effects loop.
That Randall sounds interesting. I'll look into that. 4-channels would be ideal, but 3 is sufficient (I could just use a distortion box as a solo boost). Here's what I'm looking for...
1. SUPER clean channel (Roland JC120)
2. Mild Overdrive (Marshall JCM800 Angus Young / Tom Morello)
3. Over-the-top rhythm distortion with a tight & focused low end (Mesa meets Diezel)
4. Lead Channel (think Petrucci, Zakk Wylde, & EVH)

Other options:
Line6 of some kind (Duoverb or a used Flextone/Vetta/something)
Peavey XXL
Marshall AVT150H
Tech21 Trademark 300
Peavey XXX (not sure if this is over your budget)
My thoughts on these.
Line 6 is OK, but nothing spectacular. I really liked the tone of the Spider II, but it has no FX loop & the heads are known for being completely unreliable.
Peavey XXX...pretty good, but I'd like to hear it with a BBE & a Noise Suppressor through the FX loop.
Marshall AVT....SUCKS! No balls at all. ;)
Tech21 Trademark 300...I would love to try one of these.
Peavey XXL....haven't heard one, but if it's that Transtube crap, I'll pass.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming! :)

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
You should look at the Line6 HD-147. It's basically designed for high-gain work and I've heard great things about it.

And the Randall might get you what you want. The clean channel is really good from what I remember, the heavier drive channel was really really heavy (and had more gain than I'd ever use) and the other gain channel could probably get the milder overdrive you're looking for. My friend also usually has an Ibanez Tone-Lok Smash Box and Tubescreamer in front of it. It's got two separate gain knobs (one for each gain type) and I think it has a volume boost function, but unfortunately it's not foot-switchable. But it definitely has an effects loop.

·
Registered
688 Posts
revsharp777 said:
That Randall sounds interesting. I'll look into that. 4-channels would be ideal, but 3 is sufficient (I could just use a distortion box as a solo boost). Here's what I'm looking for...
1. SUPER clean channel (Roland JC120)
2. Mild Overdrive (Marshall JCM800 Angus Young / Tom Morello)
3. Over-the-top rhythm distortion with a tight & focused low end (Mesa meets Diezel)
4. Lead Channel (think Petrucci, Zakk Wylde, & EVH)
I use EXACTLY, and I mean exactly, the same types of sounds as my main staple, with the addition of an intermediate between 1 and 2, a light kind of dirty (SRV). And I get them using a Digitech GNX3 (MY channel 4, your channel 3, heavy rhythm, is tight... kind of a Zakk meets Dime meets Korn). Not an amp, and probably not what you're looking for, but works great for me. When I saw what you were after, and how similar it is to what I use, I had to post. The GNX3 allows you to use essentially 5 channels per bank. Pretty versatile. I pretty much always just run direct.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Get a used VHT Pittbull. You should be able to find one under $1000.
Three channels, all tube, switchable graphic eq, efx loop... It's got all the bells and whistles you need. Plus TONE for days.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Get a used Egnater TOL100. Wonderful amp. Can do Fender clean, Texas sizzle, vintage Marshall and modded high gain Marshall. All of them with finesse. You won't find a better 4 channel amp at under $1000.

Mark IV can be had for less than $1000 in good condition, but you'll only dig it if you like Mesa tone. It won't do "a Marshall" for you. And it's a 3 channel amp. :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you could deal with a separate preamp and power amp you could try:

a Carvin Quad X-Amp (4 Channel Tube Preamp with individual efx loops for every channel as well as a master efx loop). Used in mint condition it'll run you $400 or less. Buy any power amp you want to go with it ($200-600 depending on whether solid state or tube). Well under $1,000 with a Rocktron Velocity, MosValve, or Carvin etc. power amp. I have one--impressive for the money.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
caprile said:
Try the Marshall ModeFour...the 4 sounds you need, and LOUD AS HELL!
I was going to suggest this one, I've tried one and it was pretty sweet (didn't get to try it loud though). Isn't it a bit out of his price range though?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't know how you feel about rack gear, but the Randall RM4 (designed by Bruce Egnater) is an all tube 4 channel rack preamp. They currently have 12 modules for it, but rumor has it there are more coming in sept, including a bogner XTC module...pretty cool. They also make a 3 channel head and some 2 channel combos. Might be worth a look :D

As far as price is concerned...the chasis is about $500, and the modules are about $180 each...these are the best prices I have come across so far.

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/mts/mts.asp

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Therefore TOL100 still comes out as superior solution to the problem price/performance wise. You get a great 100W power amp "for free". :lol: There's also Rocktron Vendetta amp designed by Bruce. He says that TOL100 has Fender/Marshall vibe and Vendetta has Vox/Mesa Rectifier vibe.

If you favor rack gear, you can buy IE4 or VP4 (which pretty much are TOL100 and Vendetta preamps correspondingly).

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
ATDVSBL said:
I don't know how you feel about rack gear, but the Randall RM4 (designed by Bruce Egnater) is an all tube 4 channel rack preamp. They currently have 12 modules for it, but rumor has it there are more coming in sept, including a bogner XTC module...pretty cool. They also make a 3 channel head and some 2 channel combos. Might be worth a look :D

As far as price is concerned...the chasis is about $500, and the modules are about $180 each...these are the best prices I have come across so far.

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/mts/mts.asp
I tried a combo version of that (1x12 or 2x12 or something, it was tall and thin rather than short and fat though) and the tone was terrible. They had the VOX AC-30 and Rectifier modules in there, and the VOX module got more gain than the Rectifier one, and even then it didn't sound very good at all.

Maybe it was just the combo I was using and the modules themselves.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts