Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

Was wondering what your thoughts were on a good replacement for the IBZ Q2 pickup that are found on Prestige level S guitars.

I basically wanted to get the THICKEST tone I could, with some added low end.

I have a DiMarzio ToneZone in one of my Maple guitars which sounds pretty good. Any other recommends?

How 'bout the Bill Lawrence Xl500? Seymour Duncan Invader?

I've tried the EMG 85s and 81 and I'm not crazy about them.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,567 Posts
Hello friends,

Was wondering what your thoughts were on a good replacement for the IBZ Q2 pickup that are found on Prestige level S guitars.

I have a DiMarzio ToneZone in one of my Maple guitars which sounds pretty good. Any other recommends?

Thanks!
I'd think the Bill Lawrrence will thin out your sound more than thicken it up, The Tone Zone would certainly do the trick, I'd also suggest looking at a DiMarzio Super 3 which has a lot of mids and thickens anything up rather well.

The Crunch Lab also has a nice thick tone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the vague question. Here are some answers:

1. What type of music do you like? Be specific about bands or particular guitarists.
I like hard/heavy rock. Think Zakk Wylde, Avenged Sevenfold, GNR, and Metallica-type of tones.

2. What type of equipment are you going to be playing through? A 10 watt "Rouge" amplifier is never going to sound better, no matter what pickups you put in your guitar......sorry.
I'm playing into a Blackstar Studio 20 all tube head.

3. What are the specifics of your guitar? I find myself having to browse the web all the time to find out the specs of peoples guitars...
A. Is it a trem or hardtail? TREM
B. maple or rosewood board? I THINK ROSEWOOD
C. how many frets? 23
D. what controls are on it? STANDARD
E. What type of wood is you body made from? MAHOGANY
F. Are your pickups direct mounted, ring mounted or in a pickguard? I THINK DIRECT MOUNTED.

Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'd think the Bill Lawrrence will thin out your sound more than thicken it up, The Tone Zone would certainly do the trick, I'd also suggest looking at a DiMarzio Super 3 which has a lot of mids and thickens anything up rather well.

The Crunch Lab also has a nice thick tone.
Not sure how a Bill Lawrence (genuine) would thin out your sound. If it does, you're doing it wrong somehow. Trebly perhaps, but thin is not how I'd describe a 500XL.

·
Administrator
7,567 Posts
Not sure how a Bill Lawrence (genuine) would thin out your sound. If it does, you're doing it wrong somehow. Trebly perhaps, but thin is not how I'd describe a 500XL.
I think it's that intrinsic treble character that I find thins out the sound, but that's always the problem with putting sounds into words.

It's not however a pickup I'd say sounds similar in any respect to the DiMarzio ToneZone or the Duncan Invader!

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Hey Jersey....... sorry for the extra questions but what cab are you using with your Blackstar??? Do you know what speakers it's loaded with and what ohm setting they run at?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello friends,

Thanks!
how about dimarzio Air Zone. I return one because it is very dark, it is mud to me, but if you want mud, you got it!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now I'm in an EarCandy 2x12 Cab loaded with Eminence Wizards set to 8 ohms. They're 75Watt speakers, kind of voiced like Celestion V30s. But I think a bit more midrange.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.