Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i've been messing around with Cubase for recording stuff, running my guitars through the RP500 i own. i'm still trying to get the hang of programming virtual instruments, but i believe i'm getting there little by little.

the biggest issue for me though is that i couldn't even begin to approach the tone some people could get out of their modeling units, whether or not they use Boss, Digitech or Line 6 stuff. all i get when i record my guitar parts are dry and flat guitar sounds that while sounding ok tonewise, aren't really good for anything.

i know reverb helps a lot but whenever i try to tweak the reverb (Cubase uses RoomWorks BTW) on my software either i get much too cavernous sounds or some that are still terribly dry and flat. practically i don't have anything to base my reverb settings on, and this problem has made me lose interest in recording over time.

have you any tips for a home recordist like myself regarding this issue? thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Another thing to remember is that while a particular guitar sound might be sweet on it's own, sometimes in a mix it can create problems. Experiment with some of your EQ settings (this might involve having to rerecord some parts) to see if you can find a better tone. Something that's too bright or thin on it's own might sound great in your mix and something that sounds awesome on it's own might turn to mud in the mix.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
^Very true, for some reason the best bass tracks sound horrible when they are solo'd. i heard some of the lead part for freakshow excess solo'd, and i was like "oh, thats what it sounds like?" lol, its true!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Reverb really isn't what you want, unless you're going for that old-school 80's hair metal stuff. Guitar tracks with distortion solo'ed don't usually sound that great unless they're supported by bass and drums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Start off by getting some tones you really like on their own dry, remember that guitar is "NOT" Bass so don't directly go for fat bassy sounding guitars.

Record a couple of different sounding tracks or double tracks that you dig, play them back in the mix one at a time with a EQ fired up and mess with the guitar track until it really works in the mix. Do this with all the guitar tracks one by one while eq'ing them together.

For Dirty tracks less is more!!! less distortion per track it may sound thin at first but when you start doubling and mixing it will be fat and cutting, recording some clean guitar to mix in also helps.

Same thing for clean guitars, record a good clean track and double then EQ in the mix.

I find having POD farm 2 "Line 6" is an incredible tool for this because you can change sounds on the fly on the recorded track.

Effects should be the last thing you add and do it in the mix again while listening to everything and how it takes effect in the mix, for reverbs time/mix and Diffusion are the tools.
:grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts