Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been recording on this crappy ten dollar mic and cool edit pro. I would like to upgrade to a SM57 and I was wondering what kind of cheap, good setup there is.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use a sm57, record direct into my little zoom studio, and then will import it into cool edit pro 2 and play around with it, until i am satisfied enough to create a mixdown.

Kev

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to be able to plug an SM57 into a soundcard or interface for a pretty cheap price. Anyone have ideas?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'd recommend running a mic preamp between the soundcard and the mic. ART makes a couple in the 70-90 range (1 has SPDIF, which is good if your soundcard is compatible) and Behringer makes a knockoff for around 50.

If you want versatility, where you can run multiple mics/inst., you can pick up a small, 4-channel mixer, which most have built-in mic preamps. I have a 4-channel (2 mono + 2 stereo) made by Behringer that has built-in pre's that I run everything through into my computer... I think I paid $75 for it new.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would I able to do a M-Audio 2496 soundcard to a Behringer Eurotrack UB1002 mixer to a Shure SM57 mic?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want a setup that is pretty inexpensive. I already have Cool Edit Pro for software so I don't really need the Mbox and Pro Tools. I basically want something I can hook into a soundcard with an SM57

1 - 8 of 8 Posts