Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have GNX4 and I usually use it to practice and create my songs ideas (write a song). GNX4 is very easy. One touch to record (record button), one touch to stop (stop button). And again one touch to new track (record button). And one touch to play (play button) All of these are only 3 buttons.

I want to use pc softwares for looping, recording, etc like GNX4. But pc softwares are very complex. (Reaper, cubase, sonar etc.) There are much mouse and keyboard using in a recording session. Besides adding drummer software and midi tracks are really headache for me. Too wasting time for creating a song idea.

I just want to record easily like GNX4 as on my pc. I just use GNX4 for its recording features. But it is very big for this job. I dont want to buy a new little recording device like Boss Micro Br. So I am searching alternative pc softwares if there is available. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hi bionical, I am assuming that you have tried a search relating to your request? However, I do note that you are after what I understand to be a 'very basic' and specific type of system. It is also worth noting that you will have a learning curve no matter what system you learn so why not get something that you can grow into.

However if your after something simple you could try the h2: www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/.

Or alternatively I would get an iPad and grab garageband. I have not had much experience with this (my personal preference is PTs) however this is a very cheap (notwithstanding the purchase of an iPad or similiar) basic product that a lot of people rave about.

Also try over at www.homerecording.com

-Wolfram

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for great replies. Actually, I use Sonar 8 for final recording of my songs. I have used many DAW. (my OS : win 7 32bit) But daws are not suitable for me to create/write a new song. Because when I try to create a new song idea at any daw, I forget my main purpose (creating/writting new music). And I found myself doing some mixing, etc stuffs. :mrgreen: So my purpose goes to wrong side. Because of this, I prefer to basic external multi track recorder devices for creating new music. :(

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I find that sometimes I have the same issue, where I just want to track an idea really quickly and it can take a few minutes to start up PTs, switch on monitors, connect headphones, get guitar and effects set up, mic up the amp, check levels etc, etc.......by then "You've lost that lovin' feelin'"!

What you could try is to set up your recording space in a way that facilitate easy start up and recording. Get mics in place and leave them there, get all your stuff set up ready to go so all you have to do is walk in turn on the basics ...........and play.

-Wolfram

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
it IS free actually. You might be thinking about "Reason". Reaper is still fully functional after the trial period. kinda like winrar. it just has a small nag screen at the beginning.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
it IS free actually. You might be thinking about "Reason". Reaper is still fully functional after the trial period. kinda like winrar. it just has a small nag screen at the beginning.
That doesn't mean its free and i believe it clearly states that. That just means the folks over there trust people to shell out $60 to buy a license. Which one should, as it is a fairly nice peace of software for a reasonable price

Honest Business Model
We offer a good product at a fair price.

We don't spend money and effort on marketing, complicated piracy protection, or other things that do not directly improve REAPER and the user experience.

We think the good will generated by playing fair and being responsive to users is more valuable to our business than short-term profits.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Audacity might be the simplest solution. Been a long time since I last used it though.
i used this a bit going straight into my multieffect pedal, direct to the pc. i found that in the short time i used this (and granted, i didnt look to see if i could tweak it!) there was a lag between hitting the note on the guitar and it registering on the computer. because of this i found it virtually impossible to layer tracks. i found i could delete a few ms of the tracks to make them line up, but surely thats not how you should have to do it for every recording?!

just my little input! :)

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
i used this a bit going straight into my multieffect pedal, direct to the pc. i found that in the short time i used this (and granted, i didnt look to see if i could tweak it!) there was a lag between hitting the note on the guitar and it registering on the computer. because of this i found it virtually impossible to layer tracks. i found i could delete a few ms of the tracks to make them line up, but surely thats not how you should have to do it for every recording?!

Latency! It's likely you don't have a zero-latency sound card in your PC.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
When your ready to step up from using shareware, (I used it for a year and a half) look into PreSonus Audiobox interface, and Pro Studio software package, the software package comes with more recording tools than any other package I have seen.
Guitar Rig, Toon Track, Ampeg, Kore, and a hugh list I cannot remember off the top of my head. almost every amp/head/effect combo on the planet is available, even stuff that you can not get any more.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts

Did you try asio4all ? http://www.asio4all.com/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally I found a cheap and great solution. I bought a used gaming keyboard. (A4Tech X7 G100). I assigned many functions to keyboard from Reaper action list. (record, stop, play, insert track, arm etc. etc.) And now I can use Reaper with full control from X7 G100.

I know I could do this with my pc keyboard. But this is more useful for me. :)

My gaming keyboard photo (added some stickers for record, play etc) :

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.