Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have one on my 540r with the original edge. It's very nice... Feels the same as the original arm when it comes to thickness, bend angle and height angle. Since you can tighten or losen it to your desired feel... It's better than the original. And even when it's lose there is zero play in trem socket. Plus... No bushings ever again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one on my 540r with the original edge. It's very nice... Feels the same as the original arm when it comes to thickness, bend angle and height angle. Since you can tighten or losen it to your desired feel... It's better than the original. And even when it's lose there is zero play in trem socket. Plus... No bushings ever again.
Thanks. I'm going to order mine for the edge zero 2. Can't wait to try it :)

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
I've read great things. Reality is, any arm is better than that stock arm with the useless bushings, IMO.
Said like somebody that doesn't know how to keep bushings tight.

I'd have to order one just to see but I've never had any trouble with stock, and you don't see any touring pros using anything but stock either. Not that replacing the bushings aren't getting pricy......

I see no point in putting one on an EZ2, it already has great torque control.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have no interest or need to practice bushing maintenance and upkeep since I've upgraded to better arms, once again IMO, which simply means, "In my opinion".

I get it, I'm a huge Ibanez fanboy like everyone here, but the fact that you are blaming the consumer for not knowing how to "keep bushings tight" rather than simply admit that their are much better solutions is a bit silly. I don't think a tremolo arm should require maintenance and upkeep, call me crazy. And I do not find any benefit at all in feel or convenience to justify the bushings for myself. Unless I want to keep everything 100% stock.

Also, touring musicians probably have a tech, or a giant bag of bushing from Hoshino. I'm a normal guy, I don't have those luxuries and rather just fix what is a problem to me with a simple $30 one time solution rather than buy bushings or torch them or use teflon or whatever for the rest of my life. But hey, others are free to remain slave to the bushings and I'm sure you have plenty in stock for them to purchase. They'll certainly need them. :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
The edge bushing idea is not a good idea. I am not familiar with the EZ trem arms... However you'll never need to replace anything of that nature with a stock floyd, or schaller. Though they have their issues elsewhere. I've had the same trem arm on my 1987 kramer beratta since my father bought it when I was a twinkle in his eye and the arm hasn't corroded or needed anything to perform.

Though the idea was almost perfect the ibanez arm isn't quite a complete idea. Who knows why ibanez hasn't done anything about it. Just like who knows why gibson hasn't fixed the aggressive tilt back on a les paul headstock... The original arm is not really a problem either... But one of the engineers worked for ibanez, took their idea and made it better. It's definitely worth buying one and seeing what ya think Rich. It's not as sleek looking as the original arm holder, but installed correctly it's pretty sweet. I know I'll be buying another for my lo-pro 540r.

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
Like I said, I'd have to buy one to see, but saying somebody has no interest in maintaining them means they have as much interest in changing strings, or tightening loose parts, or replacing any wear item of which there are several.

Bushings last for months. My complaint is when they jacked the replacement costs. And no, I can't get enough

·
Registered
141 Posts
LMAO yes replacing odd bushings that are exclusive to one specific tremolo arm is comparable to changing strings which is a requirement for all guitars, and tightening loose parts. Come on. I have no issue setting up any floating bridge(many thanks to your tech tips and website), I do all my own guitar maintenance, changing strings... everyone does that. I can easily replace bushings, that's not hard. I just found a better solution and moved on from, in my case, unnecessary bushings and an unnecessary expense(sorry if you lose sales?).

Seems like I made a good choice too, since you say the price increased and you can't get enough stock. I know I'm happy.

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
Maintenance is maintenance, and flaming a bar for a few seconds is about as easy as it gets. I shamed them into keeping it low for an extra 5 years but it was inevitable. They sell chinese knock offs on ebay cheap. But I get your point, I'll never say real innovation isn't a good thing, but there's been a shaller bar assembly that many have used for years and nobody ever raves about it.

The most stupid thing is you can buy a new bar for $20, which has 4 bushings, but 4 bushings costs $14 now. And the chinese knock off bars are $10.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yeah I never understood the over pricing for the bushings. Since they are brand specific I guess they figure... Why not? They need them.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Right, it's a whole assembly that is a bit more complicated than a regular ibanez arm holder bar combo. That's another reason I suggested you sell them 😁. You could be a USA dealer. I had to order one from Japan around March or April. Took forever cuz of coronavirus customs regulations back then. Idk if it's better now. I'd imagine if you could get them discounted if you're gonna be a dealer. If they're even interested in having those.

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
I just want to know how it works. There is nothing on the bar to apply torque to, so what makes it stay in place? Otherwise it's almost exactly like a factory holder, same spring and screw, only with a torque cap, but if there is no bushing what exactly applies the torque?

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
Looks more like some type of bushing to me. If it was metal the bar would squeak as you turned it

·
Registered
667 Posts
Well yeah it's a compression bushing now that you put it like that. But if you poke it with a screw driver it's definitely metal. As for squeaking that's not really always the case. There are pallet jacks I work on that the bushings and or pins that have a teflon coating that do not require greasing. Grant it over a long period of time they do wear out. This seems to be the same way. Here you can read about it.

https://redbishop.jp/EN_MAGIK-ARM_FR.html

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
Teflon coating is treated on snap-in spring, so the bar rotation is smooth.

I read that but anything that applies torque will wear at some point. Granted not near as fast as factory bushings. But if it's a snap in "spring" that means it can be replaced? Because otherwise you're replacing the holder assembly to renew the torque adjustment.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.