Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since I hopped onto the forums, I thought I would share with you my latest modded Ibanez. I took a 2001 RG570 in root beer finish and stripped her down to bare wood. I decided to give some definition by spot burning the guitar with a benzo torch before applying stain. I went for a dark walnut stain on top, taped a line on the sides to leave natural to give a faux binding finish look, and stained the rest of the sides and back with a cherry oak stain. Finished product came out real nice although the pictures are in gif format so some quality is lost for viewing. The only thing I would do different is not allow my friend to apply the Ibanez logo on the headstock slightly higher than stock position (it's grown on me though, I am over it)

Electronics wise I went for a Crunch Lab bridge, True Velvet middle, and Fred in the neck position, very happy with the selection and tone capability of this guitar. My last desire for it will be to mod the edge to have piezo pick up's installed for that definitive sound.

Let me know what you guys think, currently I am starting a build from the ground up to do an 8 string guitar with some burl wood finishing.. really looking forward to this project.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
wow, that looks cool...I love natural looking finish too...and I wouldn't have noticed the headstock either...it is one of a kind - very nice job!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, and I dig your 570 too. I considered doing the grip but chose to stick with keeping it solid. My fiance hated me for ditching the root beer.. but I told her I can't do paints.. I am a grain guy. Here is another I did prior, S520ex I rescued, prior owner beat the hell out of it, so no hurt feelings sanding it down the black. Put a crunch lab and liqui in that one.. that was my first experience with the CL, awesome tone.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts