Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there.
i have a question about sanding a 430mm frets (ibanez prestige 3120TW - 2003 Edge pro).
i saw on stewmac nice radius sanding blocks, but 16.9" (430mm) is not supported there.
anyway, i've made some measurements and the difference of level between 16" and 16.9" is only .003" (0.076mm), wich it seems very small number to me..
this is the small problem thinking that you can use also a flat sanding surface
but stewmac also sells a nice handheld fret press (jaws) for refreting.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Pressing/Jaws_Handheld_Fret_Press/Jaws.html

the problem is that this tool does not support 16.9" either. has anyone tried the 16.9" radius with the 16" press insert? it should work well..

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
as long as you are using a slightly SMALLER radius and not a slightly LARGER radius, you are good. Basically you are redoing the neck, and I would probably suggest that anyway. Get a fret saw too to redo your slits. Do you really need the 240$ vice grips? Small rubber mallet works just as good lol.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I use flat blocks and radius blocks on the board, and I never level with radius blocks. I hammer frets in, but if you have to press them in, you can press them with a smaller radius then hammer the middle down flush. If you want the radius blocks to basically take all the guess work out of the process, use a 17" block if they have it on the board, sand it until it becomes 17" and go from there. LMI probably has a 17" radius block. Other than that, you should use the 16" but know that your lock nut is arched at 430mm so be careful your D and G strings aren't too low.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
i never had luck by pressing frets with larger or smaller radius than the fretboard's. if it's smaller, the fret would bump in the middle, no matter how much you hammer it in. if it's larger, the fret ends would spring up. it was frustrating.

while, since i started pressing frets with the same radius of the fretboard, anything went flawless, easier and faster.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
i never had luck by pressing frets with larger or smaller radius than the fretboard's. if it's smaller, the fret would bump in the middle, no matter how much you hammer it in. if it's larger, the fret ends would spring up. it was frustrating.

while, since i started pressing frets with the same radius of the fretboard, anything went flawless, easier and faster.
???????????

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
yes, i was referring to Frank's suggestion:

...you can press them with a smaller radius then hammer the middle down flush.
knowing Frank, i have no doubt he's right. that's also the same technique suggested by Dan Erlewine in his instructional videos, but i wanted to share my personal experience.

;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts