Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What experience does anyone have with midi foot controllers? I have the Lexicon MPX R1 to control my Lexicon MPX G2 and it is a complete piece of crap. The thing cost about $500 and the switches work when they feel like it. I need any input from anyone who has used a midi controller in a real gig situation over an extended period of time. I guess I could get Custom Audio Electronics to build me one, but I just need to control two pieces of gear for crying out loud.

Any help or info is appreciated.

Kent

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have been researching the same thing and I am dissappointed to hear your experience with the Lexi unit....that one looked the most promising. Next I thought the Rocktron unit looked really good to, but no expression pedals built in...just another thing to buy. It's darned expensive too. Hell, it would be worth it to have CAE build exactly what you needed just for the piece of mind knowing that it would work. I'd hate to think what that would cost. I guess what you would need is access to a great EE and a good machine/fab shop.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I own the Art X-15 Ultrafoot and have been pretty pleased with it. Very easy to program and built pretty reliably. My only complaints are as follows:
- Stepping on one expression pedal usually nudges the other enough to reset its value.
- The expression pedal's movement tracking is what appears to be via a bar coded plastic strip read when the pedal is rocked. I bent one of them when I had a cable underneath the actual pedal. I fixed it but think the mechanism is pretty chintzy.
- The expression pedals don't feature a toe switch meaning that to turn off, say a wah controller, you've got to step on other buttons which doesn't allow for quick changes like a Dunlop-type wah does.

These go pretty cheap on eBay - typically for around $125 to $175 or so. New I think they're in the $200-$250 range.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I have an ART X15, and it is awesome, the expression pedals are a little flimsy compared to the rest of it, but the rest of the pedal rocks. I got mine for $160US, new they were closer to $350 I think, but I don't think you can get them new anymore.

The other one I have, if you just need a midi pedal for switching patches, is the ADA MP1 (I think that's the number, I haven't looked at it for a while) and it is built like a tank!!!! it's nice and small too, just one row of buttons, but man, you can't break this thing!!! and I've seen them go anywhere between $50 and $100.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I used to own an X-15, but got rid of it when I picked up my Roland FC-200 which I think is better built with tougher switches. The only thing I don't like about it is that you need to add an external momentary foot-switch to switch between Program Change and Control Change modes when using it live... I ran my first FC-200 for years without a problem, sold it with some rack gear and picked up a second one because I regretted letting it go... Lately, I've been using my Rocktron Midi Mate however, because it offers the ability to send both CC and PC without "toggling" between modes (top row buttons for CC, bottom row for Program Changes). It also takes up slightly less space than the Midi Mate, and I don't use a midi expression pedal with my G-Major/JMP-1 rig so I don't need the pedal on the FC-200... I'm keeping my FC-200 though - I won't sell it until I've sold off every piece of midi gear I own; I don't want to have to buy a third... :)

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
I've been using the Rolls MidiBuddy for the last few years.

Nice big buttons, super simple layout. 12 switches on the face - bank up/down & 0-9.

Dipswitches in the back allow for machines that use 127/128 plus Midi in/out so you can chain it.

The best thing about it - costs about $100.

Also, I never did it, but I think there's a way (if you're tech inclined) to power it thru a midi cable. I just use the power supply that came with it.

~Kenny

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'll add my 2 cents for the DMC Ground Control.

I have the orignal model, which is discontinued.

It still works after having a full beer dumped on it at a show last Saturday.

You can find one for around a hundred bucks if you look hard enough and I can guarantee there is no MIDI foot controller in the world that's as versatile and indestructible as this one.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
kennydoe said:
I've been using the Rolls MidiBuddy for the last few years.

Nice big buttons, super simple layout. 12 switches on the face - bank up/down & 0-9.

Dipswitches in the back allow for machines that use 127/128 plus Midi in/out so you can chain it.

The best thing about it - costs about $100.

Also, I never did it, but I think there's a way (if you're tech inclined) to power it thru a midi cable. I just use the power supply that came with it.

~Kenny
Yup, midi buddy is the way to go!
100 bucks, and your flying. don't have any problems either!!

·
Banned
338 Posts
check out the Ground Control Pro.
http://www.voodoolab.com/gcsystem.html
I've been drooling over this one for a while now.

also, Axess electronics makes great stuff... the controller they currently offer is VERY small, but a big unit is in the works.
http://www.axess-electronics.com/products.htm
if you go to that page and scroll down they have their current unit, The MFC5 MIDI Footcontroller, and a write up about the new one. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I actually don't like the new GC at all. I hate those type of buttons. Yuckyuckyuckyuckyuck.

I'll keep my original one thanks. :)

·
Banned
338 Posts
jeffrey said:
I actually don't like the new GC at all. I hate those type of buttons. Yuckyuckyuckyuckyuck.

I'll keep my original one thanks. :)
But...But... it has a positive tactile feel. How can you hate the positive tactile feel? Come on... submit to the positive tactile feel. :cry:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'll chime in on the GC + EB pedal setup. Works great, not to pricey, and just enought belss & whistles to be useful.
Greg

·
Ibanez endorsed
1,219 Posts
I have the original ground control and rack mount GCX guitar audio switching system to plug everything into. They were a little pricy (the GCX is the most expensive part) but WELL worth it!!! I would honestly say that they are the best on the market for the money. I also like the fact that the Ground Control lets you name each preset and it displays in BIG bright green lettering that is VERY easy to see on stage.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Sombody using the Ground control pedal do me a favor and please measure the width and length (of the pedal that is :? ). I need to know if the original GC will fit on my current pedal board. Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts