Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

I just got myself a 89' 540P-II which seems like it has never ever been cleaned before. Behold the crud:

I am using Rich's cleaning guide, and by using a base for warhammer miniatures, I've killed the worst crud. However, there is still long way to go:

I wonder: Will my 0000 steelwool be enough to do the job (especially on the edges of the frets), or should I look into some nasty chemicals before I get busy with the steelwool?

Also, is linseed oil a decent oil to apply to a fretboard, or should I hold my horses and get some specially made stuff?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Should I watch out when steelwooling around the sharktooths?
EDIT2: The reason why I'm asking is because the fingerboard has some deep pores, and they are of course filled with crust. I wonder if I should steelwool all the way into the first level of pores which hold this crust in order to get it cleaned properly, or leave a little tiny bit of crust to be gentle on the fretboard (and for good luck).

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
If you do use steel wool, either remove the neck or tape up your pickups cause those things are like magnets to steel wool :).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ayrton: Unfortunatly, that doesn't seem to be able to deal with really nasty crud - it's fine for removing steelwool, though.

moebius: Whoa, thanks man! Has to be the most work-saving tip I've had today, I taped my pickups within an instant of reading it. Phew.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I use Synthetic fine steel wool.
Rub with the grain, then oil and wipe down (I use wonderwipes with lemonoil.)
Then I wipe with the wool again. Then another wiping with Wonderwipes, let it dry to a haze, then wipe off.

·
Vendor
26,554 Posts
Use the edge of a pick to get all the heavy stuff off. The rest will soften with oil and just wipe off.

Never continually steel wool a fretbord to clean it, unless you want a scalloped board at some point.

Never do it on the guitar without some serious masking, in fact, just don't do it on the guitar if you do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoa, I've been just about to cause a minor catastrophe on myself then, it seems.

I had the idea that the crud would just mix with the oil and sink into the wood, but apparantly I was wrong.

I already spent a lot of energy on rubbing the board, but mostly with a pick/piece of plastic, so the harm is very limited. And luckily, it seems that this was also the first time it ever happened to the guitar, so I guess it can take it just for once.

Seems like I misunderstood the purpose of steelwooling in your Grunge-off, Rich, thanks for putting it straight to me.

I guess I'll just pop to bed and let the guitar rest so that I can wake up to get some good oil tomorrow. Cheers to you all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts