Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
If you remove the retainer bar and lock the nut then all strings will be sharpened significantly. The retainer bar prevents that. The retainer bar doesn't slow string changes and speeds tuning double-lockers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You remove the retainer to change strings. That is upside down, the curve follows the nut.
I am removing the retainer to change strings!

Is it upside down? Always been like that and it has the wear marks.
Well i'l turn it around!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you remove the retainer bar and lock the nut then all strings will be sharpened significantly. The retainer bar prevents that. The retainer bar doesn't slow string changes and speeds tuning double-lockers
Got it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
lol. ditto. i'm not sure there is one good reason to remove the retainer bar ever except to repaint the headstock.

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
If you like plenty of string scratches on the face of the headstock then feel free. Otherwise it's far easier to remove the bar and put it back on than try and fiddle around sliding strings under it, trying not to or not caring if you scratch up the headstock.....

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
LOL :lol:

Cover the headstock paint with a post-it-note or index card or tape if you feel the need. Ugh!

You run more a risk of scratching something unscrewing the fine retainer screws actually (plus stripping the wood)...glen

ps - On most Ibanez double-lockers the trussrod cover actually covers/protects the headstock.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is nothing wrong with removing the retainer bar, but it's true, it depends on how often you do it. The truss cover of my BFP has plenty of scratches. I could easily exchange it for little money, if it would bother me. But I would not imagine how much the wood would have been stripped after 22 years of regularly removing the bar. And: Pushing the strings crosswise makes it easy to grab them next to the nut.

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
Wood doesn't strip just because you screw a screw in and out of it, it strips when you try to tighten something too tight, like a top mount nut or a neck bolt.....

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
any screw into wood causes wear on the wood. in case of the retainer bar the pressure on the screws are immense causing further stress & wear. Even if we pretend otherwise....

It is 10x easier to protect the headstock top and a few seconds.

OTOH you can remove two fine screws and readjust the retainer bar height each and every time you restring. LOL

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
The pressure on the bar is very little, push down on a string after the bar and you'd see if you weren't so full of your own opinions, which in your case you haven't played or worked on these guitars in a decade, besides the JS you just bought...

Anybody can work the way they feel is best. A professional will work in a way that is fastest, and has the lowest potential to cause damage, even a scratch. And I never change strings without removing the bar.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
^ bull**** again.

you make a lot of foolish assumptions but whatever. The OP had the retainer on wrong, never knew it and yet you think those readindg are well served removing it each time they change strings. thanks for the laugh :)

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
He also had it removed.

I'm stating facts, you've clearly stated you sold all yours but the Herc years ago, so if you're working on these regularly please enlighten all of us.

Everybody is well served working in a way that is fastest and causes the least chance of damage. :roll:

You were a lot more tolerable when all you talked about were the pretty pictures.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Rich, when did you become such an online grump? Dayum!

The double-locking system hasn't changed in 30+ years as you know.

You wanna ship me an axe round pickup trip and see how it plays in return? You're embarrassing yourself my friend.

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
That's really funny because I've had several emails lately asking who that administrator is and why is he such an *******. I just tell them he's a cowgirl fan from north jersey and they seem to understand. Obviously you haven't really been part of this board for the last 7-8 years, and all of a sudden you want to non stop post and argue about everything. Dayum, yea, that's says it all.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts