Ibanez JEM Forum banner

removing flange

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JsXLine6 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Dimarzio Air Norton S (single coil size) that I would like to put in my Jackson Dinky. However, the cavity doesn't have a spare to fit the pickup (I tried ordering one without flange, but it'd take ages given the current pandemic).
I'd rather keep my Dinky intact, so I'd want to remove the flange. Never saw it on another pickup, but it's a kind of circuit board. I guess removing it is not that much of an issue, and then solder the wires to the coils. Reversing it won't be so neat, I'm afraid.
Should I risk it? People having done this?

Thanks.

Cheers

#2 ·
Given the difference in the shape of the pickup cavity, unless you're willing to route out the cavity a bit... You're probably better off trying to find something that is similar in tone to that norton. Seymour Duncan makes hot rail humbuckers that will fit your pickup cavity. I wouldn't try to modify the pickup it self.

#3 ·
Routing is not an option. Currently there's a hotrails (and coolrails middle and custom bridge), and it lacks definition/too muddy, too much mids and low. It's a (flamed) maple body, and sound too sterile. Other suggestions welcome, too.
I have a PAF Pro I'm going to install next week.

#4 ·
The disappointing tone from your current pickup could just be the character of that pickup. Not that it's a hot rail and they all sound bad. Though I have never used one. If you call and speak to someone at Seymour Duncan instead of browse they're website they do help you. I've called and spoke with a rep and the guy knew his stuff. He helped me select a pickup based on my description of what I wanted. And if you're not happy with it, they'll take it back for a Full refund. Though I didn't have to send it back it was perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.