Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! (first post! ;)

So I'm thinking of doing a few mods to my RG2550Z, one of them being to replace the Edge-ZERO with an Original Edge, (along with some 2LE2B Lo Pro/Edge Studs to replace those crap stock studs).

So my question is whether an Original Edge will directly replace the Edge-Zero, without any routing etc.

Thanks,

..Silver.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bugger. I'm assuming the lo-pro will be out of the question in that case aswell. Edge Pro maybe? If not I can live with the ZERO, but I'll be changing the studs in anycase. . .

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. The fact that the studs lock down isn't the issue with them. The issue is that these studs have about the worst groove profile I've seen yet on an Ibanez bridge. Luckily they CAN be replaced by the 2LE2B ED/LP studs.

ibanezrules.com/images/jemsite/ez_stud.jpg

To quote Rich from his site;
"This is a shot of the EZ stud
and redesigned Lo Pro stud
. You can clearly see how small and tight the groove profile is on the EZ stud and how much more free and open the LP profile is. This is the profile that cured the tuning stability problems on the LP, and the poor studs they replaced were still better than these EZ studs."

But in anycase I'll be replacing those studs anyway, what I wan't to know is whether I can replace the trem.​

·
Vendor
26,454 Posts
After my complaint they redesigned the studs. Now they're far too big and U shaped [which I think is a prime cause of the ZPS sharp problem]. Maybe they'll get it right someday.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: OK, just discovered that the Edge-ZERO has a stud spacing of 3" 2/8, while the others have a stud spacing of 3" 1/8. In other-words, if you buy an Edge-ZERO, you're pretty much stuck with it.

So a new question, is there ANY trem cavity which will accept the Original-Edge (appart from the lo-pro ofcorse.)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
UPDATE: OK, just discovered that the Edge-ZERO has a stud spacing of 3" 2/8, while the others have a stud spacing of 3" 1/8. In other-words, if you buy an Edge-ZERO, you're pretty much stuck with it.

So a new question, is there ANY trem cavity which will accept the Original-Edge (appart from the lo-pro ofcorse.)
yep, i actually really like the edge zero, super tuning stability and i actually use it in ZPS mode. also, the intonation tool is a godsend. it's also waaaay easier to tune.

the only thing i don't really like about the EZ guitars is their compatibility with older trems etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts