Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the guitar thing for a gooood while now. I recently obtained a MIM Fender strat. And I was wondering if there were any after market trem's that were awesome that fit on a MIM Strat (Vintage screw not twin pivot) Also, if there was a locking one? Or Can someone custom make one?

·
Registered
261 Posts
the wilkinson 2 point trem.

All you have to do, apparently, is widen to outermost holes to fit the posts in. then BAM you're playing.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Callaham bridges are about as well made as you can get. You'll hear a real difference in the tone too, not just in how well it functions:
http://www.callahamguitars.com

I'm not aware of a vintage screw locking trem - they don't have enough movement to make it worth while.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've been out of the guitar thing for a gooood while now. I recently obtained a MIM Fender strat. And I was wondering if there were any after market trem's that were awesome that fit on a MIM Strat (Vintage screw not twin pivot) Also, if there was a locking one? Or Can someone custom make one?
There are a lot of options out there in terms of Strat upgrades. Guitarfetish sells some good stuff that doesn't cost much. You can nab a Wilkinson vintage-style bridge there, with a steel block that will make a big difference in sustain over the MIM zinc block. GFS also sells their own line of blocks, and they make one that fits MIM strats.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Upgrade-Steel-and-Brass-Tremolo-Blocks_c_219.html

Then, in order to get a little more tuning stability, they sell the Wilkinson EZ-lock tuners, or their own knock-off locking tuners.

The final step is to get a Tusq XL or similar nut -- this is one of the key points in tuning stability. They change the tone a bit too.

All of that combined will not work as well as a Floyd, but will do a great deal to help you stay in tune.

Callaham's stuff is reputedly amazing, but his gear is more about sustain and tone than tuning stability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts