Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my amp speakers, but was wondering how hard it would be to do. Anyone ever changed out their own speakers? I have a Carvin SX200 that I bought back in '98 and there's a lot of crackling, distortion, and other terrible noise coming out of it, so I figured replacing the speakers would probably fix the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I would definitely TRY another speaker before buying one to make sure that's the real problem. If it IS, it's simple, as long as the new speaker is the same size; take out screws, replace speaker, put in screws.

Another possibility is dirty pots. You can open up your amp & clean those with Caig DeOxit or similar. As a solid state amp, it should be pretty safe; just unplug it and avoid touching the leads to any big capacitors (cylindrical components).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll try cleaning it up first and go from there. It's just gotten progressively worse in the last year, so I figured the speakers were dying. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.