Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so a few months ago i bought a used Ibanez S470 with a Lo-TRS II tremolo on it (There should be an attached picture, im not sure if my computed loaded it right though). I need to buy a Gotoh Floyd Rose to replace the trem because the blade edges are completely wore out where if i use the trem it rubs against the body of the guitar on the little strip of wood between the bridge pickup and trem cavity. There is literally no space left between the trem and this strip of wood! 8O

Im wondering if anyone know what specs I need for the Gotoh FR. I think the neck radius is 15"? i dont really want to spend the money on a gauge to find it out so if anyone knows it would be deeply appreciated!

Also, if you could provide a link to where you would suggest to buy it from i would be very grateful!

Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
According to what I've read, you'll have to redrill you guitar to install new anchors, and your tremolo will stick out of the back cavity. :roll:

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
According to what I've read, you'll have to redrill you guitar to install new anchors, and your tremolo will stick out of the back cavity. :roll:
And what's so terrible about that may I ask? You are installing far better studs, which means your guitar will hold tune a HELL of a lot better than the old LO-TRS II.

And so what if the trem block sticks a little out the back of the guitar? It's a far higher quality brass block, which will give you heaps better TONE. ;) You can always buy a smaller brass block if it's that big an issue. I don't leave the back covers on anyway.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Im wondering if anyone know what specs I need for the Gotoh FR. I think the neck radius is 15"? i dont really want to spend the money on a gauge to find it out so if anyone knows it would be deeply appreciated!
You don't need to worry too much about the radius. I think there is only one spec for the radius with the Gotoh unit (as well as most other Floyd Rose type trems).

What you do is make some shims to step the saddles up if you need to. I've used emery paper in the past to do it. They just need to be litte slices that can sit under the front of the saddle, closest to the bridge pickup.

·
Registered
39 Posts
S470 would be a Wizard II neck which is 400mm/15" radius, and I believe the Gotoh is made for a 15" radius. A little difference won't matter anyway - I put a Lo-Pro Edge (which I guess is a 430mm radius) into my RG470 with a Wizard II years ago and it was fine.

The Gotoh should slot right in, leave the backplate off (if you don't already anyway) to allow for the longer trem block. You can use the TRSII posts+anchors, but you might get better results installing the Gotoh posts+anchors which are locking. Give it a try and see how you go.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/gotoh-rf-50577.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't need to worry too much about the radius. I think there is only one spec for the radius with the Gotoh unit (as well as most other Floyd Rose type trems).
The website im looking at has 10 different selections for the Gotoh most are 10" radius necks except for a 15" and their all verying nut sizes. i believe i measured the nut at 1-11/16" which matches the only 15" radius listed under the options. these probably seems stupid but im just making sure i dont spend way more than i have to :D

it wont let me put a link yet but if you google gotoh floyd rose it'll be from Beyond Eleven

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Just use your Ibanez nut. At the end of the day it's easier than trying to work out the right one to match your width, radius and screw spacing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed an Original Floyd Rose to replace my LO-TRS II TREM. The OFR posts screw into the body just fine. The spacing is perfect. The route around the trem isn't an exact match but I think that's OK. My block is a little long for my S Series even though it is the same length. I figure the height of the strings from the base must be a little different. So I have to keep the back cover off the guitar or buy a shorter block.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts