Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Algiman said:
Grab a couple of DiMarzio 500k pots.
I haven't tried them yet actually, I usually just use the stock pots. But more and more people recommend replacing them with the DiMarzio 500k pots. I am installing some new DiMarzios in the week (ToneZone, PAF Pro) so I may go out and buy some of the DiMarzio pots to try them with.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
i am not sure how much of a difference brand pots make, i did experiment with the vaule of pots, i installed 1 meg pots in a guitar. It increased the treble responce and a little more power but it made the pickup loose warmth.

www.guitarpartsdepot.com has American made 500k esp brand pot,, i was going to buy one of them to check it out and see if there was a difference.

Also doing dual sound with a dimarzio is sweet. you may consider getting a push pull pot to replace your tone with and wire up that tone zone for dual sound. with the coils running in parallel it will increase treble presence and add clarity but cut the power a little bit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think unless they feel bad or crackle when being turned they should be fine. If they make noises you can spray some contact cleaner inside the body of the pot and turn it for a minute. If the noise persists (and your grounding is good) replace.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
slugman said:
I think unless they feel bad or crackle when being turned they should be fine. If they make noises you can spray some contact cleaner inside the body of the pot and turn it for a minute. If the noise persists (and your grounding is good) replace.
I think that you have kind of missed the point. Yes, they will be fine, and even if they are dirty, then can usually be cleaned, but cheaper pots are still cheaper pots! If spindlergallery is going to the trouble and expense of putting a couple of hundred quid's worth of new pickups in his guitar, then I would recommend he spends the extra £10 or so on better pots, to really make the guitar roar like it should.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.