Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently acquired one of the new AZEs in the 3x single coil/ hardtail format and love it! my only gripe is the thuddy 5-way switch, which i’m not sure i understand enough to replace with something higher quality. At first glance there is a lot going on. basically the guitar functions like a strat with a master volume and tone. when you engage the toggle, positions 1,3,5 are altered and 2,4 remain the same. i have a schaller mega switch on hand, but there doesn’t appear to be enough tabs for the existing wiring scheme. im a newer ibanez player, so any info/ diagrams/ references would be greatly appreciated!
Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic component Computer hardware Electronic engineering

Circuit component Electrical wiring Eyewear Audio equipment Cable

Watch Font Clock Audio equipment Microphone

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried contact cleaner on the switch? Might be a bit dirty. Stock wiring looks fairly neat, first time I've seen inside one of these new models.

Since this is a proprietary Ibanez part, there will be no exact aftermarket equivalents. As far as I'm aware, Ibanez hasn't released any wiring diagrams for AZs yet. There is one diagram floating around which someone made of the HSS system, transposed to a Fender/DiMarzio style super switch.

We discussed these switches here recently, and they should have markings on the soldered side of the terminal regarding which wire goes where, as the hots and grounds (marked as 'cold' on the switch) all go to these terminals, then out via the 8 pin plastic connector. There should be 8 tabs for soldering, just like on the Schaller, they're just in a 4+4 arrangement on either side of the unit.

The Schaller website has various wiring schemes outlined for different pu combinations, you'll have to make the appropriate transposition from the Ibanez to the Schaller so the selections are the same, and make sure that the wires from the 8 pin connector follow the same scheme as the traces on the original switch. On the Ibanez switch, the 8 pin connector is probably done to keep things neat, so there's no need for additional wires going out of the switch to grounds and the toggle from the four terminals, which is what I guess you'd have to do if you intend to install the Schaller.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Welcome @GLee . I love the AZES 31 so much that I bought two of them, one of each color, and also a blue one with HSS and trem. I gave the red AZES31 to a friend for an early Christmas present.

My daughter swapped me an Ibanez Jem Jr for the AZES40, which is a more appropriate guitar for her to learn on. Well, actually she just kind of took it over.They are fantastic guitars.

I want the 40 in black, so I will reorder when they become available again. My dealers are out of them at present. I am keeping the Ivory one for myself.

All of them were playable out of the box. However, after a full set up including leveling and crowning and hand polishing frets, they play like a dream.

Congrats on the wisely chosen new axe!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
@GLee how do you like your AZES31? I have two, one of each color, and I set the red one up with Ernie Ball Cobalt 10 - 46, and the Ivory one with EB Cobalt 9-42. What gauge did you set up yours with.

The 10-46 I seem to like better, so I will set up the Ivory one with 10’s as well.

·
Registered
RGA42FM, AZES31, SRF705, SR700, GSRM20, EWP32FM, G&L Trib ASAT Special
6 Posts
sorry to revive an old thread, but the pictures are helpful. does anyone know what the name of the plugs used to connect the groups of wires to the circuit boards are called?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts