Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two problems with my edge pro tremolo system... The arm sucks its not smooth at all and its loose. Also the system is very very sensitive so tuning it is hell. I found a tutorial on the forums of how to replace the crappy trem arm holder with a schaller crew-in arm holder.. and that would at least solve the crappy-arm problem.. But where do I get the parts???

Also if anyone has any suggestion to help with the sensitivity of the tremolo system I would really appreciate it. I wish I could just switch it for a floyd rose system but since that's not happening I'm searching for ways to fix these issues.

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
I would suggest looking up some of the other threads on tuning stability and fixing wobble in the trem arm. There are many tricks to tighten the trem arm focused on the bushings. I am not aware of many people going from an edge pro to an OFR. Seems a step back.

As for the tuning stability you might add some information like how many springs are you using, what gauge of string are you using. There are a few threads out there on improving stability. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think its a step back...OFR in my opinion is better than edge... One of my mates has OFR and I tried it after playing on mine for a while and I was shocked at how well it worked. And just to clarify, the problem with the arm is NOT that it won't stay in place. It doesn't slip when I'm using it at all. THe problem is it has a bit of give to it.. When I pull up or push down on it, it feels like the arm doesn't fit tight enough into the holder so it isn't very smooth to use.

also..
2 spring
10 gauge strings

I was shipped with 9s but my dad decided to thief it and put 10s on it which obviously completely threw it out... It took a while for me to fix it and it's decent now but its not as good as it could be.

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
If I remember correctly, reading previous threads of people using 10's, most of them used three springs. Might be worth a try to help with stability.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
I have even read about ppl using 4 springs w/ 10's. You might check the nut that locks the holder in place and see if that has come loose. Replacing the bushings might improve the "slop" in the bar itself if it isn't a loose nut on the holder. Ibanez Rules has nice tutorials and possibly one on the issues your having. Good luck.

~Bones

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have two problems with my edge pro tremolo system... The arm sucks its not smooth at all and its loose. Also the system is very very sensitive so tuning it is hell. I found a tutorial on the forums of how to replace the crappy trem arm holder with a schaller crew-in arm holder.. and that would at least solve the crappy-arm problem.. But where do I get the parts???

Also if anyone has any suggestion to help with the sensitivity of the tremolo system I would really appreciate it. I wish I could just switch it for a floyd rose system but since that's not happening I'm searching for ways to fix these issues.
*sigh*

If everyone is done expressing their opinions on the best tremolo in the world, I'd like to take a moment to solve the OP's question.

Yelgath, you can buy the OFR/Schaller OFR arm assembly, in full, with all the parts you need, from the Stewmac website. Its in the floyd rose parts section. You won't regret it. I have the same arm on my ZR and its vastly superior to the old one. Remember to use the longer allen bolt that comes with it, as the shorter one isn't long enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts