Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a new S5470 from "the bay" and noticed the volume and tone pot's are a lot stiffer than that on my Js1000. It's hard to do volume swells or play a fast riff and roll the volume off and back on really quick. So I heard there is wax inside the pot's, and if you let lighter fluid seep into the pot's it will loosen them up. Any truth to this, or is it just the characteristics of these Ibanez volume/tone pot's on this guitar. If so, anyone recommend a good set of volume/tone pot's to work with H/S/H 5 way switch configuration..

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try a Bournes 500k pot. They are a low friction pot, so it is easier to roll off. Look at the wiring diagram for your S5470. It should just need 2 500k's. I'm not sure if the tone is an audio taper or a linear. I just replaced the pups on my S2170 and I used the same pots. It is scary inside that control cavity. Have fun.

Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
To clarify the audio vs. linear question, guitar pots are typically audio taper. what this means is that turning the pot from 1 to 10 increases volume (decreases resistance) in a bell curve that allows for more control in the lower region. you actually need to turn the pot 50% of the way to increase voltage output by 10%. Although this looks weird it's what your ear is used to hearing. A linear pot will increase 20% when the pot is turned 20% so if you plotted this it would be a diagonal line from 0,0 to 100,100 (rotation,output). The problem is although this math seems to be what you want, in reality you lose control of the top and bottom of the scale. The bell curve on a cheap audio taper pot actually resembles more of the linear characteristics.

I second the vote for bourns pots check out their website: http://www.bourns.com/proaudio/ Bourns is one of the few manufacturers that actually print their specs in pdf (CTS does this as well). This way you can see if you'll need standard, long shaft, micro pots or if you'll have to drill out the holes in your guitar to fit them. (typical when fitting 3/8" shaft diameter pots in import guitars). Seymour duncan uses these pots personally and Gibson is using the sealed professional versions in all the new Les Pauls. At ~$10ea. the pro series is expensive but word is the resistance material inside the pot sounds better. I've got the Bourns PDA-24's in a strat copy and they work and sound fine (~$2.50 ea.). I'm gonna try the premium 95's in an epi LP and see if their worth it.

Dont forget to get new capacitors as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts