Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying an RG550, but I've never owned a guitar with a locking trem before.

I frequently switch tunings on my guitar between standard, flat, drop d, etc and I'm wondering whether this causes problems with a locking trem?

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Like any floating bridge, you're going to have a harder time re-tuning, then add in the locking components, and there's a little more work again. re-adjusting spring tension due to the floating bridge, etc. If you regularly go between tunings, more than just Drop D then a hardtail may be your better option.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's not very practical to keep switching tunings with a locking system - I found it a good reason to have multiple guitars :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ben Eller has the best YouTube tutorial on tuning changes and string changes with a Floyd bridge. Will give you a good idea what's involved.

It's a pain for any more than drop D.
Especially if you're recording and really picky about intonation.

I have a hard tail JS1600 for odd tunings..

Other option is a tremelo no, so you can make the guitar hard tail when you want to move out of standard and floating when back in standard.

·
Registered
667 Posts
You could definitely get a tremolno like he said. I use it on my JS. It allows you to use your floating trem as a free float, dive only, or fixed bridge with a turn of a couple thumb screws. Super convenient.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ben Eller has the best YouTube tutorial on tuning changes and string changes with a Floyd bridge. Will give you a good idea what's involved.

Other option is a tremelo no, so you can make the guitar hard tail when you want to move out of standard and floating when back in standard.
If you are picky about intonation you have to intonate hard tail too ! Only difference is that with tremolo you have to adjust spring claw.

·
Registered
416 Posts

If you are picky about intonation you have to intonate hard tail too ! Only difference is that with tremolo you have to adjust spring claw.
With a JS1600 style hard tail adjusting intonation is a 5 min job with a screwdriver and a good tuner.

On an edge bridge the claw gets the bridge level again. But you need to slide the saddles forward\backwards to perfect the intonation which is trickier. Won't notice a difference with E To E flat or drop D.
Bigger changes and you'll need to in my experience...

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you push down tremolo bar, and slack strings with one hand, you can unscrew, move, then screw saddle with another.
Does that work?
This is the one process I've found to be a real pain with an edge. I've got all mine set up quite nicely already. So I don't have a guitar that needs intonating to try it on. I'll have to buy another to give it a try 😄

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I currently have a strat with it's bridge hard against the body. I never use the trem.

It sounds fine when i retune anywhere from standard down to drop c.

I'm thinking of getting a S521 now.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Take a look at digitechs drop pedal. I use one. It drops in half step increments down to a full octave. And it also has a octaver, pretty useful pedal. I love it because I love using a floating trem! Makes life easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take a look at digitechs drop pedal. I use one. It drops in half step increments down to a full octave. And it also has a octaver, pretty useful pedal. I love it because I love using a floating trem! Makes life easier.
I tried one of them back in the 90s and I found it delayed and distorted the signal too much. The signal sounded somehow synthetic, and the delay from input to output was disturbing enough to put off my playing.

I assume they have significantly improved?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes it's definitely improved greatly. I know what you mean about them sounding synthetic. My father had a Whammy pedal when I was a teenager in the early 2000's that would drop as wellz and it sounded terrible. Check out a review or video on youtube. You may be pleasantly surprised. I was!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.