Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a new guitar, and I was wondering how hard would it be; for someone like me who has never ever done something like that; to replace the pickups, change the volume pots to push/pull pots, switch the volume knobs to the pickups (i.e., I have a les paul copy and the volume knob on the bottom controls the bridge pickup and the volume knob on top controls the neck pickup, I want to swap those but keep the selector switch the same), and I think that's it.

I figured I'd need a soldering gun, solder, a voltmeter, and a wire stripper/cutter.

I'm thinking I need a plan of attack so I won't get overwhelmed and won't get in the way of myself.

So what are ya'lls opinions? I really want to learn to do this stuff, maybe I should buy a book on it? I was thinking I could stumble around and 'get it'.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just recently had my first pickup change experience. It wasn't too bad. I wish I had bought one of those magnifying glasses with the alligator clip arms that hold wires in place for you. Basically, I had to teach myself how to solder. I read a few FAQs online about soldering, etc. and practiced a bit on some wires. I didn't get a good ground connection to the volume pot the first time and only 1 position on my switch worked but once I figured it out and soldered it a little cleaner it worked fine. I went back and re-soldered half of my connections once I got a good feel for it and was able to make cleaner looking connections.

In the end, it wasn't too bad, a little time consuming but I'll definitely do it again. Don't cut your wires too short and expect to have to redo a few things. Don't get frustrated, remember that it's your first time!

Good luck!

Allen

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I've never had to use a volt meter for rewiring, but it's not hard at all. If your paranoid about it, make a wiring diagram of how your guitar is wired now so you can see where you made a mistake if your guitar doesn't work at first. Overall a 12 year old could do it with some direction, so there's nothing to fear.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well I have use one in th past on a old guitar to ohm out the wires to see if the were still good... I guess you can also check if you have a cold solder joint, but as long as you prep the wires (put solder on a new wire before solder to switch or pot) you shoul d be fine. Its really not hard. if you havent solder befor just practie with some wire and sold the together... have fun :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.