Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished up a project in which i overhauled an Ibanez RG421. I swapped the pickups out for a set of Gibson 490s I had laying around. I love the neck pickup with the smooth attack and lower output, but the 490t in the bridge is leaving me wanting a little more. I am experimenting replacing the ceramic bar magnet in the Quantum with an alnico 5 bar. WIll report back my findings. Anyway, I was hoping to get some insight on how to wire the 3-conductor bridge into a regular 1v, 1t, 3-way setup. I wont be splitting the coils so i was wondering of the red, black, and white wires, what goes where? I assume one of the wires will get paired with another, I just dont know which. Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using the stock switch? Saw this image on the 7-string forum... RG421EX stock wiring in case it helps.
View attachment 20487
I am actually using a Kaish replacement import style 3-way w 8 tabs straight across…since im not splitting the coils of the bridge this makes me think i should twist the white + red together and then send black to ground?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I am actually using a Kaish replacement import style 3-way w 8 tabs straight across…since im not splitting the coils of the bridge this makes me think i should twist the white + red together and then send black to ground?
I think if you are not coil tapping or splitting then you tape off the end of the red wire (no connection), then just use your white for hot and black for ground. That way you get the output from both coils. There are much better wiring guys on here that might confirm or deny this though!:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts