Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've recently taken out the V7 and V8 pickups in my RG 1570. I replaced the bridge with a Seymour Duncan Invader (which might not stay) and a Dimarzio evolution neck model. The problem I've got is the guitar sounds more or less identical to the old pickups installed in it.

For some reason the definition between the pickups on the 1570 is pretty cack, the actual "change" in tone between humbucker bridge and humbucker neck is pretty minimal and both lack a bit of clarity.

I came to realise that the pots can affect the brightness and the tone so I took a look and they are standard 500K Ohm pots. I've got a few other guitars, a couple I put together myself and 500K pots have always given me a nice bright output.

I couldn't quote the value of the capacitor but as a quick win is it possible to just change the capacitor for a lower value to increase the brightness? Also is there any other advice on potentially changing the sound? With high quality pickups, 500K pots and wiring I've now done myself I'm struggling to understand why the guitar sounds quite muddy in comparison to others I've owned and played.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Does tone pot work as expected? Maybe you have a wiring mistake that makes your tone pot suck highs more than it's supposed to (a pic would help). I installed 10nF capacitor instead of standard 22nF in my RG2550, it's a bit more subtle but still useful range. I can't notice change in brightness when Tone is maxed though, it should be brighter but very slightly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am not sure if you have done some of the following suggestions, but take a look:

How old are the strings? If they are old they will make your sound pretty bad.
What is the distance of the pickups to the strings, the further away the less power you'll have from them. What about amp settings, sometimes no matter what pickups your using, if the preset your using is muddy then it will be amplified mud. Try the guitar clean and then gradually add coloring and tone effects.

I added a Dimarzio D-Activator in my 2027VV and I had to do some tweaking. What types of Dimarzios did you add?

Then again this could also be a Pot problem or a wiring issue as well. Just some thoughts on some other things to consider.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts