Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just replaced the stock dimarzio/ibz bridge pickup from my Ibanez RG 2820 with a Evolution dp159, but the original wiring is different then the suggested Dimarzio wiring. My RG has an 3 way pickup selector witch 12 poles in the back. I placed a picture from the original wiring.

The thing is that the stock pickup was wired : red connected to green to switch ,white alone to switch and black to ground. See picture below , upper pickup wire is bridge. It looks like the JPM wiring but not just the same

1--2--3--4
| | | |
5--6--7--8
| | | |
9--10-11-12

BRIDGE: red&green to 3
white to 9
black to ground

NECK: red&green to 12
white to 2
black to ground
7&8 together to ground
5&6 together to volume 1st pole

I wired the Evo pickup the same way as the old one, but the tone is not really what I expected, it sounds good, but not that typical Evo sound.
Can someone explain to me how this 12 pole switch works and how I should wire it according to the suggested wiring, red hot, black white together and green to ground. Where should I put the red on this switch? And should I also rewire the stock neck pickup if I do so?

Final question, I found out that I bought a normal spaced Evo where I should have an f spaced one, the outer poles are 1,5mm inside the strings, does that seriously affect the tone or just a minor volume issue?

I would have posted a picture but I am not allowed to do so....
http ://db.tt/7WzDyXBA
This is the link to my picture... Maybe someone else can link this? ( plz remove space)

·
Registered
475 Posts
You have it wired correctly. The evo just might not sound good in that guitar. The JPM and yours are basically achieving the same thing in a slightly different way. Don't worry about the colors being a little different.

In the neck position 1 2 3 4 are connected to 5 6 7 8
In the bridge position 9 10 11 12 are connected 5 6 7 8
In the middle position 9 2 3 12 are connected to 5 6 7 8

These switches can vary a little in what terminals it connects in the middle position, though. You can check it with a multimeter.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Final question, I found out that I bought a normal spaced Evo where I should have an f spaced one, the outer poles are 1,5mm inside the strings, does that seriously affect the tone or just a minor volume issue?
This has been discussed to death, some say you HAVE to get F-spaced, some say you don't, some insist they can hear a difference, others can't hear any...

I did some very crude tests with an oscilloscope many years ago using an F-Spaced Evo Bridge and a standard spaced Evo Bridge. Both gave very similar outputs and voltages when a pure tone (sine wave) was induced through the p/up.

Put the regular in my old RG520, checked output waveform and voltage output using an e-bow that had spacers on it so it would be consistent and recorded the results, did the same with the F and the variation in output was within what I saw when a sign wave was played through the pup.

So, based on this simple test, and the fact that I can't hear any difference, I go with the F-Spaced only for aesthetic reasons, but if I only have a regular spaced P/up, that doesn't stop me from putting it in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts