Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the RG 3120 the best, most verstile guitar for the money in your opinions? I think I will get this guitar after a long two months of trying to decide. It was back and forth between a number of brands but I finally settled on this. (I hope) Butt just to make sure, are there any other guitars I should look at before I take the plunge?

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
brand new, it's a great guitar at a very reasonable price. If you're talking used guitars that opens up alot of doors. Good luck... glen

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No used guitars, just new. I considered looking at used guitars but there is no guarentee you will be able to find them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In my opinion, the rg3120 is one of, if not the best guitar for the money. I think that guitar could be worth a lot more than the grand or so it's priced at.

(Edited by VaiIsGod at 6:14 pm on Nov. 21, 2001)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Agreed.  You have chosen wisely.  If you're set on a brand new guitar, I don't think you can beat the RG3120 for the price.  Excellent craftsmanship, incredible tone and very versatile.  Go forth, purchase the RG3120, and prosper  :beammeup:

(Edited by djrjems at 10:22 pm on Nov. 21, 2001)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Yeah it's a great guitar. A fine example of Ibanez craftsmanship, without being a Jem or JS. It's good to see they continue to turn out guitars that are non-signature, but still fantastic quality.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
In a word...

Yes

The 3120 is pretty much the best bang for the buck in the current Ibanez line.

Why???

Mahogany body--> super tone, super sustain
Flamed maple top--> looks cool
Hand finished wizard neck--> practically plays itself
Tone Zone in the bridge--> slams
PAF Pro in the neck--> [email protected]#$ smooth
The split coil positions--> are actually useful

Seriously, I really dig the 3120. I've had a TW for almost 3 years now, and I recently picked up a DR just for the heck of it. They look great, sound great, and play great. You will never need another guitar (unless it has seven strings) as long as you live... :)

--B

·
Registered
638 Posts
Personally i think the RG520 is the best value Ibanez.

The Rg3120 is it's big brother

Over here the 520 is half the price of a 3120.

Don't get me wrong I'm going to buy one next year but for sheer value you can't beat a 520 but for the same price as a 3120 you can buy a 520 AND you can buy a set of Dimarzio PUPs a Morley little alligator and a badhorsie an e-bow and still have money to buy a Boss DS-1

P

·
Registered
725 Posts
gee, i think the 3120 has muddy tone (maybe it's just me...). won't buy something costly with tone that doesn't appeal. IMO the JEM is good value for $$$... :glare:

(Edited by germX at 8:33 pm on Nov. 22, 2001)

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey guyz,
Im in more or less the same situation. I have roughly a grand to spend.
I dont know whether to get a js1000, an rg3120 or push for a jem77fp.
Can someone please advise me ?
thanks alot :help:

P.S.I think the 3120 would be a safe option if the style of music that I like changes. However I have heard the pickups are meant to be bad.

Thanks again

(Edited by Circles at 7:20 pm on Nov. 23, 2001)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Personally, I like the pickups, but that could be one of those ice cream things. The Tone Zone in the bridge is killer... awesome harmonics, nice sustain, pretty balanced all the way across. The PAF Pro is pretty smooth... it's not quite as smooth as an Air Norton (what is?). The split positions are pretty nice also... they're relatively bright and crisp, with just a touch of twang.

If I had my choice between the JS1000, FP, and the 3120, I'd take the 3120. The FP would be a second choice, not far behind--it has a thicker neck, and doesn't have quite as deep of a tone since it's basswood instead of mahogany. The JS1000 is kinda not comparable--it's got a completely different feel to it (which, as I've discovered with time, I really don't get into).

Hope this helps!
--B

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone else have any criticisms about the rg3120 because i think im going to get it tommorow and dont want to make a mistake at that price.
thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think it is a terrific guitar, personally....I prefer the Twilight Blue, but the Deep Red is sweet too....the only Ibanez I really like better are the JEM/UVs, and the RG2027....you really can't go wrong with any high-end Ibanez guitar though, in my opinion

·
Registered
76 Posts
As far as i know (which i don't) I love everything about that guitar dearly.  It's so pleasing to the eye I almost wouldn't want to play with any risk of damage.  I know the wizard neck is as thin and confortable as they get, you can't really got wrong with mahogany, and the bridge is beyond excellent.  This is my next purchase even though i have a really crappy amp, I want this guitar!!!  And you should too!

Joel

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'd take the 3120 anytime if it only had a MIDDLE SINGLE-COIL PICKUP. :) I love the Prestige neck, I love the finish, I love the flame top, I love mahagony, I love the offset dots, but I simply gotta have that HSH configuration, that's what I always say. Okay, I admit, I have a couple of HH guitars and I love them, too...

No split-wiring can deliver the crispy sound of positions 2 and 4 on a HSH 5-way switch.

Am I the only one who thinks that? :cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts