Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone advise me on pickup changes i can make?

At the moment, unfortunately im only playing through a gt-10

anyway, i still have no idea what my current pick-ups are and from another thread within the forum i gather that my bridge is a PAF pro at neck pickup and Tone zone at the bridge

Im pretty happy with the bridge pick-up, but the neck i feel is too trebly, and i just want some more oomph.. but overall i feel the guitar is a bit too bright for my liking..

I need a very good clean tone for church, and some crunch for Hard Rock stuff sometimes also for church but that's beside the point :)

So far im only looking at dimarzios but im open to suggestions.. and to be honest im a little too confused about output.. what does high and low output does to a guitar ? does it make the guitar more high gain/distorted ?

Thank you beforehand !

EDIT: its a mahogany body, with a lo-pro edge i believe

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
It depends on what year it is. A TZ is in the bridge of all years, but the neck pup changed: 1997s had an Air Norton, while the 1998-2003s had the PAF Pro. The PAF Pro in the neck is one of the best choices ever, so I'm not sure why you don't like it. Plenty of "oomph" has a great clean tone, and some serious crunch when needed. If it's not enough--slap an Evo in there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would a steve special work as well ? i dont particularly like it, because it sounds too bright for me..

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
SS makes for a great bridge pickup, and sounds a little fatter if you turn it around backwords. If you want to know how the AN/SS combo sounds in a guitar like yours, check out rob balducci. his LACS are a lot like the 3120 (mahogany, etc.). He also turns his SS backwords.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm happy with a Dimarzio Breed in the neck of my 3120. Do you think your present neck pickup is too bright or the whole guitar? Are you switching on stage with other guitars often or can you handle that with EQ later?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have exactly the opposite experience with my 3120. The Paf Pro is definitely the better sounding of the two and it is plenty fat and bassy in that particular guitar. Perhaps your wiring is defunct? I say check your wiring and mess with the pup height some, it makes a big difference, especially with the Tone Zone.

I also have a hard time believing you find that guitar too bright. It's a raspy sounding axe, but I wouldn't call it bright. Anyway, no two ears are the same.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the Tone Zone / Humbucker From Hell (ironically) in my RG2550z that I use at church.

It sounds great for everything from clean, U2-ish stuff, to bluesy and hard rocking stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts